has anyone got any ideas on what breed my ducks are ????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by michelle b 1972, Jan 22, 2011.

1. michelle b 1972

michelle b 1972 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    manchester U.K.
    this first pic is my apricot & white female i was told off the farmer where i got her and the others from that he bought her when she was a duckling and that she was supposed to be a hookbill.... to me she looks NOTHING like a hookbill !

[​IMG]

this 2nd pic is of my female chocolate and white buff orprington... this i believe to be correct ..... is it right ?

[​IMG]

this 3rd pic is my drake who is also supposed to be a hookbill

[​IMG]

and the 4th pic is the darkest duck in the picture ... she too is supposed to be a hookbill

[​IMG]

can anyone help me out as i would love to sell the eggs but i dont want to say they are one breed when they are not !

thankyou so much

michelle x

2. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    I would say they are all crosses, but the last picture appears to have hookbill in it. The first appears to be Buff duck cross and second and third appear to be swedish/buff crosses. I will tell you that when you breed a white bird like a pekin or runner to other colored birds you end up with mixed colored birds that look very similar. You can cross a white bird with a grey bird to reveal what colors are hiding under the white. That is how some of the Call and Runner colors were originally "discovered" they were there all along, just masked by white. I would say none of these are any particular breed, all crosses, even the last one appears to look like a hookbill, but lacks in the type department. I would say if any of them were close...it would be that one.

As to the chocolate and white buff orpington... BUFF is the variety all ORPINGTON ducks come in. There are no other Orpington colors.

*Granted, I am in the US, not UK...but pretty sure the Standard is very similar there.

K&S

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. michelle b 1972

michelle b 1972 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    manchester U.K.
    thanks alot for your reply ! im a little disappointed that i was lied to by the farmer ! i love my ducks to bits and think they are ace but i want to sell the fertile eggs that my apricot & white is laying but as they are crosses i am worried people may not be interested ! none of my ducks fly so i know people do want flightless birds and to me they are gorgeous looking birds and looks do sell... but the last thing i want is to incubate my eggs and no one want the ducklings ! i hope you can see where i am coming from
    regards
    michelle x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by