has anyone ground their grains or grasses?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ladyearth, Dec 22, 2016.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    well when I give or was giving mine a mixed of various non gluten stuff mostly like buckwheat, quinoa, flax, kelp, alfala yellow and green split peas, sesame seeds etc.... they pick and choose and esp leave behing the NUTRIBALNCER additive...
    so I was on MOTHER EARTH NEWS SITE other day and someone told about making their own breakfast cereal. By grinding it into flour and adding a liquid and then baking I guess like a sheet cake and the crumbling it... so would that work for the chicken feed

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/homemade-breakfast-cereal-zbcz1612

I mean a similar type process ? so they would still eat the additive "powder? wish I could find a complete additive in liquid form... Or like a gummy or a kibble
    Cause I am tired of giving them soy etc
    thanks

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    It would be much easier to ferment your blend. They can't pick out what they like and leave the pellets behind. Just mixing it with some water will solve your problem.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  3. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    wanna bet? they do pick thru.... the "sand" additive stays mostly behind. I even tried a diff bowl for each. chicken....in different places .... the top tier eat what they want out of their bowl and then run off the other lower pecking order chickens and pick thru their bowls. Fermented even.
    or even water or say vegetable broth , egg or meat or fish or ,whey, added
    added to wet it all. still happens.. Now if I could have cubicles with "face recognization system" it might work... LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by