Has anyone had a brown egg layer lay a random white egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dominiquetrix, Jun 29, 2011.

1. dominiquetrix

dominiquetrix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    I found a white egg in my run about a week ago.
    All my girls are brown egg layers- Dominique, Wyndotte, BCM.
    The run is fenced and has wire on top. It is also inside our fenced backyard.

Anybody have any ideas?

Our neighbor has one black bantom who does fly over their fence occasionally.
    I found her in my yard yesterday. She is very shy, no one can catch her. It seems unlikely she would have gotten into my run much less stayed long enough to lay an egg.

What do you guys think? [​IMG]

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have. not blazing white, but from one day, dark marans egg, next day, barely off white cream tinted with a faint splattering of tiny brown flecks of pigment.

3. jadeybaby70

jadeybaby70 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Alameda
    My wyandottes sometimes lay very light colored eggs....could that be a possibility?[​IMG]

4. dominiquetrix

Mar 23, 2011
    Ii wondered if it could be the wyndotte. Her's are the lightest eggs I have. But, this egg is WHITE. No spots. A little rough in texture, you know what I mean? The shell is not smooth, but is white and a little smaller than the Wyns. normal eggs. ( Her's are the smallest egs I get)

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have a Texas Red chicken that was laying brown eggs she now lays store bought w[​IMG]hite eggs.

6. dominiquetrix

Mar 23, 2011
    That's crazy! She just started laying white eggs? how does that happen? Is it "normal" or a sign of some nutritional or other issue?

So far I've only gotten one white egg. Has your hen continued to lay white eggs, if so for how long?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by