Has anyone had a cat w/ diabetes?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by poppycat, Jun 18, 2007.

1. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    We adoped a cat from the shelter a month ago and she has been having some potty problems. Took her to the vet today and she suspects diabetes (not totally sure, staying overnight for more tests) She's only a year and a half old. Has anyone ever dealt with this? I'd kind of like to know what I'm in for.

2. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    My stepmother has had a slew of cats with various illnesses. I'm not sure about Diabetes, but she's dealt with things like Leukemia and kitty AIDS, among others. I'd be glad to ask her about it if you find your kitty does have diabetes. I know she'd be glad to help.

I sure hope you hear good news..keep us posted.

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Mrs. AKBB here... both of my cats passed from diabetes. If your kitty is drinking a lot, peeing a lot (HUGE clumps in the clumping litter), and a funny sweet smell to the urine, lethargic, and just feeling kinda pooky, it could be diabetes. There are special foods for cats that are borderline diabetic, and I was able to hold it off a little longer with his diet, but if that doesn't stabilize them, then eventually they get to the point where they need daily shots of insulin just like humans. It's hard to determine how much they need, as it can fluctuate daily, and there could be frequent trips to the vet to have the glucose levels tested. It really takes a dedicated mom to deal with it, but it can be done. My first cat had to be put down after I gave her too much insulin, and she went into shock. It was devastating to me, and when I found out 2 years later that my second cat was diabetic, I knew I was going to have a tough decision to make. I don't have a problem giving shots, but I had to be out of town a lot for work, and that was not something I wanted to put on my sitter. See what the vet has to say before making any decisions, but know that it will not be an easy journey if she turns out to be diabetic. I'm so sorry...I hope it turns out to just be a urinary tract infection, or something easy to treat!

4. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    I dunno if this helps but my dog had diabetes....she would drink and drink all day long...and then would just urinate all over.....she was house traing very well and never had any accidents..so when she started to just urinate uncontrolably i knew somethig was wrong. We tood her to the vet and he confirmed diabetes and said they had to keep her for at least 3 days to monotor her sugar levels and try to control it with islulin. After they put her on a regamin, we took her home and continued the insulin injections twice a day after each meal. We were to give her 5cc's of it each time....also had to dip her urine in special dip sticks to monotor glucose levels. my biggest fear was hypoglycemia due to giving too much isulin, therefore i believe in the long run i wasent giving her enoughf...wich cause her to go blind within a 24 hour period. she did pretty well blind for about a month. and then we noticed she started loosing her hair rapidly...and her stomach swelled up like a pot belly pig. We took her back to the vet.... where they suspeceted it was canine cushions disease as a result of the diabeties....it was and by the look on the Vets face we knew what we had to do....we said our goodbuys as the vet came over with the syringe. Me the big matcho man that i am...sobbed for days...it was prob. one od the most upsetting days of my life.
    I hope you have better luck....but in my opinion feel out your vet...I feel as thought I made my dog suffer longer than she had to for the purpose of me not having to deal with the loss of her...but that was being selfish. I wish you the best of luck!
    stay well, Dom

5. poppycat

Jan 26, 2007
    Wow. I'm really sorry for your pets. I've really got my fingers crossed that it's somthing else, and I'm going to refrain from speculation until I know for sure. We should know tomorrow.

So think good thoughts for her.

6. therealshari

therealshari Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Beryl UT
    Several years ago, my best friend's cat became diabetic. The real issue for her was that she had to rely on a couple of us to administer the shots, as she was partially paralyzed.

We (two of us) kept that cat alive and having a good life for over 5 years.

It takes setting a schedule, and making a long-term commitment. One of us had to go to her house each morning to "shoot the cat". Then we had to return each evening to "shoot the cat" again.

It became somewhat of a novelty to be somewhere and have to leave... we'd simply say we were off to "shoot the cat".

The cat actually looked forward to her twice daily regimen and we didn't have to adjust her levels very often during the first 4 years. The last year became more difficult, with more frequent trips to the vet.

You'll need to weigh the personal time costs, as well as the "maintenance" costs. Those include medications, vet visits, and food costs.

Best of success in whichever path you choose.

7. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Quote:You got it! [​IMG] I really do hope it turns out ok. For her sake, as well as yours.

<shoot the cat>... LMAO! I was laughing through my crying.

8. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    My dad had a cat with diabetes. He lived a long life of over 20 years and just passed this winter. He had diabetes for over 10 of those years. Turd, yes I said turd, was a sweet loving cat that didn't even realize that he was getting his insulin shot. He got one twice a day. Had to go on a certain diet and have his food restricted to certain times of the day. Not really hard to do just takes some remembering. He had always been free fed so he didn't like his food being put up. He would holler when he got hungry but we had to be strong and not let him have it til a certain time.

Good luck and let us know!

9. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I am a cert. vet tech and have treated cats with diabetes--it can be trying but if you are dedictaed, they can live good lives. They just always have to be watched--for signs of too much or too little insulin, diabetics shocks, etc. If your game, Im confident he'll do well.

10. poppycat

Jan 26, 2007
    BIG SIGH OF RELIEF!!!!! She dosn't have diabetes. She has giardia. Yuck. Apparently she has a bad enough case to put strain on her kidneys, but the vet thinks that she'll recover ok. Now all our pets need to be treated for it. You should see my vet bill. I'm soooo glad she's going to be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by