Has anyone had a duck survive an attack like this?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tilika, Sep 8, 2016.

1. tilika

tilika Just Hatched

Aug 9, 2016
    Sparks, Okla
    I assume our duck was attacked by a hawk or eagle this morning and is in really bad shape. If there is a chance he/she can recover I am willing to do whatever I can but if not I would rather know now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far I have treated with Vetericyn and Farnam TRI+Care as well as wrapped what I could without covering it's eyes (was afraid it would freak out if I covered it's eyes. It is also in a crate in the house so I can treat and watch over it. Any other suggestions or should I just cull it?

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    The humane thing to do would be put it down. The skin is completely gone and will likely go blind if it already isn't.

3. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I am so sorry..
    With the skin gone,.there appears to be no eyelids to protect and lubricate your duck's eyes. While regular skin can grow back, the eye lid tissue will not grow back. There appears to be a section of the skull crown missing also.
    It would be more humane to put the duck down.

4. tilika

tilika Just Hatched

Aug 9, 2016
    Sparks, Okla
    Thank you both. I kind of figured as much but was hoping [​IMG]

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Predator attacks are an inevitability with keeping poultry. Sorry for you loss.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Holy....Poor bird...

I agree, put it down...How sad!

Best of luck

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @tilika , welcome to BYC!

I had a pigeon that looked worse than that... skin missing from it's head to its back, and it managed to heal with regular cleanings and supportive care. How attached are you? If the skull is still intact, I think I would try to save it. Is it still eating?

-Kathy
    @Miss Lydia @Amiga

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  8. lovemy mallards

lovemy mallards Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2015
    MARION COUNTY TN
    If you love your duck fight for him. i would take mine to the vet and try to heal mine. I would do anything for mine. It looks bad but it's totally up to you.

9. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

X2

10. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    My ducks eye popped out of socket and all of the skin around it was torn away and scarred, from a male attacking her out of the blu, last week and i had to put it back in . I took her to the emergency vet they gave me drops and told me to use vetricyn and literally a week later her eyes and the skin around it has grown back, has become almost completely healed and she can still see!. Ducks are stronger than we think with clean isolated environment and the right medication anything is possible. I say fight for your duck it was all worth the trouble to have my duck completely healed :) when odds were not in her favor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by