Has anyone had a hair problem?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Starkasm, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Starkasm

Starkasm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    In the woods
    I wasn't sure where to put this, but seeings it started with a duck I thought maybe here would be okay. Maybe I should post in the chukars too?
    I haven't seen anything posted about this.

When our now 5 month old duck was little, we of course used to cuddle it hold it etc. One day I noticed one of her legs were swollen quite badly. There was a hair (mine or my daughter's) wrapped tightly around her leg. With tweezers, a needle to lift it, and a lot of work and help from my sister we finally got it all off. It was bad, embedded deep in her leg, from the swelling. Luckily it worked out okay and she is just fine.

Since then I've been very careful and kept watch with any babies.
    Recently we've had the same thing happen with our chukars. Not bad like the duck because I watch for stuff like this now. I think it's from us leaning over the pen to talk to them. My hubby made a make-shift hook at the end of a thumbtack that helps with getting a hold of the hair to unwrap or snip it.

We both have long hair so I guess that's part of the problem.
    I tell my daughter to hold her hair back before leaning over to talk to them etc, she has a lot of hair :/

I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem or has any suggestions.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I had really long hair till last summer when, working in greenhouses, I needed to reduce the insulation on my head [​IMG]

But most people do not realize my hair has changed, because I wear a Buff. This is not an advertisement - I get nothing from them, I am just a customer.

I am loading a photo of mine (how I wear it - because there are many ways to wear one) and will post it when it gets across the ether.

And it keeps my hair much nicer - and I have no whispies to fall into the duck poo or into my eyes at an inopportune moment.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Oh sure, i get what you mean! no, i actually tie hair up, i used to have my hair down to my bellybutton but chopped it back to my shoulders(yep, dramatic change lol) but the weight was killing me.

Due to all the leaning in about places the long hair dangling can pose a danger, so i always keep it well tied that reduces the dropping. Perhaps have her tie her hair?

My girls especially my younger one has long, long hair but they usually keep it well back while handling the birds.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Here is how I cover my hair. I am one of those people who. no matter how well I had my hair pulled back (usually in a bun), it would get caught on things or the little strands would get loose.

[​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If I am going to be in contact with my flock I put my hair in a pony tail. Sometimes if I lean over to cuddle with my drake he will end up with hair in his mouth so that's why I started the pony tail. Never thought about hair actually getting caught like that around a leg of duck or other fowl. Goodness.

6. Starkasm

Starkasm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    In the woods
    I felt like such an idiot when it happened to the duckling, it was no one's fault but my own. And it was really bad. Poor thing. :( Luckily unlike me, my sis Georgie is patient and less likely to panic. She was my first phone call and was great at getting it all out of the duckies leg.
    That's why when it happened to the chukars, but not bad like the duckling, I thought it could be a good post.
    Oddly enough I've never had it happen to a chicken and my daughter handles the chicks all the time.

I think the pony tail is a good idea. It's hard to keep track of when she's playing with them. The chukars are in my house in a brooder so it makes it tempting to lean over and talk to them every time you walk by. She does cuddle the ducks a lot! And they do nibble at her hair! Having it in a pony tail could make it easier to brush too - less snarls! :D
    Thanks!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It is something you never think about till it happens. Glad the lil duckling came through it okay. sometimes I even wear the stretch pony tail things around my wrist if they aren't too tight then I have one right there when needed like this morning it was pouring rain so put my hair up and hat on and hair stayed dry.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by