Has anyone had any luck selling duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rgn87, Jul 29, 2010.

1. rgn87

rgn87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    For eating purposes?

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh, yes. I get a much better price for them than I see chicken eggs at too. Mine sell easily for $5 a dozen. The key is to find the right markets. Personal chefs and high end bakeries and restaurants love them for the loft they give to baking and the richness of flavor. Asian markets love them because they are well known and loved in most parts of Asia for eating. And of course, health/organic/natural foodies love them if they're free range because they're such a sustainable product, and so rich and delicious.

Good luck! I even get hits from craigslist once in a while when I advertise them at $5 a dozen. But your best bet is to find out where the foodies, chefs, and bakers are in your town. Have fun!

3. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Yep. [​IMG] I have 2 customers who will buy 3 dozen at a time if I have them. Someone who came to buy some ducks from me also bought 3 dozen of the eggs since duck eggs are one protein their son can eat without reactions. I can't keep duck eggs in stock during the Thanksgiving/Christmas season since people love them for baking.

I currently only have 2 ducks laying and can't wait for my young ones to start. [​IMG]

I charge $3 a dozen.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh yeah, Becca--you're right about the chicken egg allergy. I'd forgotten that market. Although it's not "scientifically validated" and therefore not really a good idea to claim about your eggs in writing (imagine the liability if someone were to get sick or die from a reaction...), nevertheless it has been many peoples' experience that folks who are allergic to chicken eggs are not necessarily allergic to duck eggs. So folks who love eggs or baked goods but are allergic to chicken eggs will often pay a premium for duck eggs.

This also works in reverse--some folks who eat chicken eggs regularly get sick from duck eggs. It is uncommon, but it did happen to a friend of mine and it took a while to figure out what the problem was. I felt awful about it, and needless to say, I don't give her eggs any more! lol

The reason is that the proteins in chicken and duck eggs are different, and it's the proteins that allergies are reacting to, usually.

[​IMG]

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, as a very avid cook and baker, duck eggs are far superior, IMO, for baking to chicken eggs. They seem to have a thicker, heavier eggwhite and a richer yolk than chicken eggs. I would think you would be able to sell duck eggs for a premium price once people catch on to them. I also would go for duck eggs for general cooking purposes, such as omlettes, quiche, and so forth if given the choice.

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Something to consider is that some states require to have a license to sell eggs. In my state I don't need one, if I sell to the publics directly. I will need one, if I sell to stores or restaurants. Crazy law.

Another thing to consider with allergy people is doing a skin test first. This test can not send someone into shock, because the amount is just to small. Simply beat the egg, and apply a drop to the forearm. Wait 5 minutes. Nothing, take a needle and scrape the skin a little bit (not to the point that it bleeds), wait 5 minutes. Usually after that you know, if you are reacting, and if not you are pretty much in the clear. Next would be to cook an egg and do a small taste test. Allergy people usually know how to test for food allergies safely. They can also take an egg to their allergy clinic and have them test them on them. At least that way they know that they are safe, and don't have to worry about a massively bad reaction. My husband is an allergy sufferer and now takes allergy shots. It works wonders on him. We are lucky and our insurance covers the shots, they are not cheap that is for sure.

7. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Yes - I have a friend who's husband is really into gourmet cooking, and they buy ALL the duck eggs that I can gather (the ones that aren't collected for incubation, that is). [​IMG]

I always try to give them to them for free (they are good friends, after all), but they always insist on paying me, so I let them go for about $2.50/dozen, and I'm collecting about 4 dozen a week right now. [​IMG]

8. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    I sell duck eggs to a couple natural and organic grocery stores. They have given me a standing order for all I can provide, which is currently 15 dozen per week. I just got done insulating the coop and raising a bunch of replacements so that production can remain strong throughout the winter.

Currently I am raising white chinese goslings to meet the demand for goose eggs also.

edited for spelling

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by