Has anyone had luck with a Broody Golden Comet hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jjb1953, Mar 3, 2017.

1. jjb1953

jjb1953 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    I know GCs do not typically go broody, but I have two that frequently do. In the past past I discouraged it for several reasons, but recently I learned broodiness may be healthful for the comet so I am happy to see one going into broodiness now.

Has anyone had any success with a comet hatching eggs?

Thanks
    J

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I haven't had comets but IMO if a hen goes broody, regardless of breed, and she sticks to the nest she'll do fine.

I had a leghorn go broody a couple times a year and was a very successful mother.

3. jjb1953

jjb1953 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    Thank you. I have read some do ok ... some do not stick with it.

IF one does not stick with it, can you put eggs in incubator?
    IF one sticks with it..... have you ever heard of a hen attacking chicks?

Also, this one particular hen opts to make nests NOT in the nesting box but funds a "secret" spot.
    Initially, I thought it was because when we moved, they were living in a barn until I could get their coop ready. I just put cat boxes in for them to lay ... which most did ... or so I thought. I found this hen in a few different spots, but one day I found a nest in the garden shed with more than a dozen eggs I suspect she was taking them and putting them there.

This morning after I let her out, I heard her cooing but did not see her. She has made a nest in a one of those rotating plastic compost barrel (there are only dried flowers inside of it now)
    She has nice new nesting boxes in her coop!

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes, you can put them in the incubator as long as you catch it quickly enough. A hen will normally come off the nest about once a day for 20 minutes to an hour or more depending on ambient temperature. So they can take temporary cooling. The colder it is, the faster you have to decide what to do.
    If you aren't home and she gives up and it is the first week of incubation, it won't hurt the eggs to cool completely. After the first week, that will probably kill the embryos.

I have had people say the hen attacked the chicks but I'm highly suspect that it wasn't the hen's fault. If she has a quiet space, remains undisturbed with food and water nearby. I've never had a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by