Has anyone had pekins that sat on their eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheDuckCrew, Mar 14, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    When i was researching getting my pekin ducks, it said it has been bred out of them so they could lay more eggs, but that some pekins do sit on their eggs.

so far, we've gotten 6 eggs, the first one was just sitting out, and then we thought our girl stopped laying but today i found a nest that she made with 5 eggs in it. she had dug a hole in the ground and gotten the best hay around her pen and put it in her nest. i was thinking maybe she's the kind that would sit and hatch her eggs. has anyone had a pekin that did hatch their own eggs?

2. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    Had some sit but none have hatched out any. One is sitting again so we see.

ML

3. SnapHappii

SnapHappii Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    I had a Pekin sit on their eggs last year [course, I stole a few for my incubator [​IMG] ] Only 1 didn't hatch. This year the females have been little brats... laying their eggs in the pond and creeks and avoiding the nice barn where she had already made a nest.. [​IMG]

4. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Yes i have one specific pekin mama that has successfully hatched 15 duckling all on her own. I have four others that try, but are generally unsuccessful. My Rouen has only hatched about 5 on her own. Nothing compares to my Mama Pekin! Not here at least. [​IMG]

5. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

My pekins cant even lay where they are supposed to, so I dont even wanna try to get them to try to set on them! [​IMG]

6. Warped

Warped Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    Quote:Lol

My 2 females (both was killed by a mink)all layed but never sat on them.[​IMG]
    1 would lay her eggs in her doghouse that i put pine chips in but the other layed them wherever she was at the time:p.Never layed them in her house.
    i have 2 females now that i just got 2 weeks ago.Their out at the pond.So i have no clue where their laying eggs. I have yet to see any on land yet as i walk around.
    I need to get myself an incubator and learn to how to hatch them myself.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  7. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Me as well. She hatched 9 ducklings and raise them all to adulthood. Cool little brood, they were mixes so none were yellow like Pekins.

8. Warped

Warped Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    Quote:what was they mixed with?

9. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    my peking keeps hiding her edds and trying to sit on them but i take them every day (when i can find them)

10. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:aww. no baby duckies for you i guess? lol. i'm hoping my pekin will sit, my parents wouldn't have the heart to kill them if they were already developing but they are talking about getting an incubator!!! yayyyyyyyy!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by