Has anyone had success after a temp hike?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jolynn191978, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Jolynn191978

Jolynn191978 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    Santaquin, Utah
    I had 109 for about an hour one day (around day 16) but otherwise was a constant 100. Do I have any hope? Anyone had success in a situation like this?

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I would say yeah there is still a chance. Have you tried candling since then? Good luck! I had a temp spike...but mine was early on...not that late into the process.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

WOW! 109 for an hour? I wouldn't just throw them out but 104 in the egg is bad an an hour is enough time for the eggs to stabilize pretty well with the incubator. [​IMG]

4. Jolynn191978

Sep 17, 2009
    Santaquin, Utah
    I am at day 20 right now and hoping I will luck out. Cross my fingers...

5. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    [​IMG] for you as well! Good luck and Happy Hatching!

6. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

IF the temperature was "air-temperature" rather than a temperature from within something like a "water-wiggler", I would think that your chances are better to still have a hatch. And, of course, the converse would also hold true. (Just my uninitiated opinion)

The temperature in the egg itself would likely not rise as dramatically as your air temperature (there would be some delay).

So, I think you may still get your hatch perhaps.

[​IMG]

GOOD LUCK ! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

7. Jolynn191978

Sep 17, 2009
    Santaquin, Utah
    Thanks guys---it was air temperature and I am not sure how long it was 109---it might have been less than an hour. If no hatching happens--I will start over with another batch (the eggs were free) but my kids will be disappointed

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Don't give up. I had a temp hike of 110 when I got up one morning. I don't know how long it was that high but I had 50% hatch. There was a lady that came on here from TX and told me they hatch eggs in TX with the temp being 110 outside.

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Lots of good hatches with temp spikes...even up to 107 degrees for God knows how long.

In fact, better hatches than my last few dismal ones with a new hovabator set at 100.

I set new eggs a couple of days ago and cranked that heat up to 101.5. I've always had better hatches at higher temps. Maybe it has something to do with being in Florida ???? doesn't make sense, but that is the only difference from my previous homemade bator.

My homemade bator had air temp swing like crazy because I used a hot water heater thermostat...and I still had great hatches. The hovabator forced air at a constant 99.8 - 100 has produced three miserable hatches.

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I had a spike to 134, yes 134 and still had one chick hatch. DO NOT give up on them. I had to help the lil bugger out but she made it and she's three months old now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by