Has anyone had success feather sexing mutts?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Featherland, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    What I mean is you feather sexed your mixed breed chicks when they were a few days old and then when they grew up you found that you were accurate.

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    No. It would not be to hard to do though. For sex links you can put a genetically gold cockerel on a genetically silver female and the chicks will be sex linked. For instance Rhode island red male on rhode island white female. The pullet chicks will be red and brown and the male chicks will be mostly white. I have a book with a large list of possible crosses for sexlinks. They will not breed true of course, but the chicks will be feather sexing. If you are interested I will be glad to give you lots more possible crosses, the one I gave you is only one of the many. I think there is forty different crosses you can do. If you would like you can post the different varieties you have and I will look them up for a possible cross. Hope this helps.

3. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Does anyone know if you can DNA sex geese? Would it be too expensive to consider?

4. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    Quote:I'm not sure about geese although I believe it can be done. It wasn't that expensive for my parrots. However the vet visit and procedure did bump up the bill a bit and it's been a while since I've had it done.

5. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    houndit How about a buff orpington rooster with RIR, partridge rock, barred rock or
    black austrolorp hen?

6. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    I am sorry. None of the birds you have match on my chart. Here is the matches for a buff rooster. White Wyanndotte, Silver pencilled rock, silver pencilled wyandotte, silver laced wyandotte, columbian rock, columbian wyandotte, light sussex, dark brahma, and light brahma. These also work on a rhode island red rooster. I have not yet. I just found the book recently. Sorry Icould not help afterall.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    A RIR (and possibly a BO) male x a BR female would produce BSLs.

8. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Thank you houndit, I appreciate you looking.

LilPeeps, what is a BSL?

9. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:BSL = black sexlink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by