Has anyone had success in hatching/selling Mixed chicks?

Momagain1

Songster
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Central IL
we have a mixed BEAUTIFUL roo; purebred BA, BR, RIR, Turkens (haha yes), Brahmas and a few mixed breed hens.

We'd like to hatch eggs; but thought we better check into how well "mixed" breed chicks sell for everyone.

Since we have good laying hen breeds; we were hoping to have good laying chicks when they grow up :)

LMK What you all think! We've not bred before and are interested to start..

TIA!
Mar

I had asked this same question a while back. Figured I'd sell my chicks for $1 or $2. Got pretty good feedback. I think that, since a lot of people are looking for a few laying hens, you'd get plenty of people wanting inexpensive egg layers.

i am also in the process of hatching mix breed chickens from my flock to figure out the incubator process before ordering hatching eggs. hope to sell them for at least a $1 when they hatch, if not ill end up just adding to my flock.

If they're mixes from a flock someone can create by buying from the local feedstore or a big hatchery, chances are, they will sell but not for much at all.

If they're mixes you just won't find very easily, they can sell for more than the average chicken, but you gotta look where there's a market/audience for it. For example, someone might want crested Easter Eggers or a heavy-weight white egg layer or something.

It depends where you're aiming to sell though. Locally, if there's not that many chicken owners and you can get people into owning chickens - mutts are easy to sell. If there's a decent number of chicken owners, mutts are less easy to sell unless they're a special kind.

thanks for the info lllia makes alot of since im new to this chicken thing and to this site and learning lots new things and having fun with it. only had my flock for about 7 months now so still got a lot to learn.

If they're mixes you just won't find very easily, they can sell for more than the average chicken, but you gotta look where there's a market/audience for it. For example, someone might want crested Easter Eggers or a heavy-weight white egg layer or something.
i want LF crested EE's please and thank you
big_smile.png

in my area the mutts go for $1 or 2 straight run and the price tends to increase with age. if you can sex them the price goes up.

i want LF crested EE's please and thank you
big_smile.png

in my area the mutts go for $1 or 2 straight run and the price tends to increase with age. if you can sex them the price goes up.

thats nice to know ill at least get a $1. not sure if i can sex mine my roo is a EE and my hens that layed the eggs are barred rocks and RIR

oh are you serious?
droolin.gif
my incubator is full right now but wow. i didnt think i would ever find crested ee's lol. and i see your signature says you have tolbunt polish, gorgeous birds. your avatar pic is exactly the kind of egg basket i am looking for. um, DH might kill me, but would you mind PMing your contact info for future reference?

We have a Silkie Roo and a Black Orp Split w/lavender roo, the hens are black orp crossed with not sure and delaware with some barred rock maybe, and silkies. Last year a couple sweet silkies hatched out about 18 chicks, I raised them for 2 - 3 months, then sold them for $10 each straight run. My sissy hatched some of our eggs and ended up with 2 lavender orps, these were the first that my black orps have produced that I know of, so now I know that at least one of my black orp hens has the lavender gene (I think thats how it works). Next broody I get will be setting on our eggs again. Great fun! and helps pay for their feed.

Back
Top Bottom