Has anyone had success w an electric skillet?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Vamp-A-Billy Princess, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I found one at Goodwill but it was $10. Wonderin if I should just save enough to get another real incubator for like $25_30 or if I should get it. Any thoughts?

2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Oh god no, just buy the incubator.

3. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    A skillet? To hatch eggs in? Is this for real? Have people done it before?

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    There someone on BYC that has done this before and posted pics.. and the eggs were growing.. i forgot who though..lol...

i think it would be an good idea.. like put a few eggs in set the temp right an everything.. and i would do it as a test hatch..see if it works?

an my gawd incubators there are Cheap!!... i wish they cost that much here..lol

5. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    I do remember someone doing that, dont rememer how it turned out though

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    All I know about electric skillets is that the first pancake ALWAYS STICKS regardless of what you do to prevent it!

What is it with the first pancake? Drives me crazy.

7. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    This would have worked for me, as I was holding good temp and hum., but someone knocked it at week two and reset the thermostat. Eggs were candling really well. If you try it, be sure and put tape around your thermostat knob. It is worth a try, but I wouldn't put any terribly valuable eggs in for the first try.

I was pretty heartbroke after losing all of my duck eggs.

8. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    I think it was farmer kitty and they did not hatch. Not sure if she has tried doing it again from start to finish.

She should reply when she reads this thread.

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Sounds like a better investment to use the incubator that cost $20 vs. frying the eggs before you can ever fry their eggs, if you know what I mean. [​IMG]

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    dangerouschicken-If I could have found an incubator here for that I would have instead of the skillet. They cost a lot more than that here.

Mine did not make it although they quit after day 14-not sure why-I did have a temp spike but, was it enough? The link to the thread is in my sig if you want to read it and decide for yourself. There were some others that had tried it and had bumped the temp dial (tape it) and ended up with lost hatches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by