Has anyone had success with an assisted hatch when the babies head is at the wrong side of the egg??

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
Has anyone had success with an assisted hatch when the babies head is at the wrong side of the egg?

Thanks,
sad.png

how did it workout? Do you still need help? I would think it wouldnt be any different, which ever way its head is facing.. I hope it worked out okay and you got an answer from someine?

I have had chicks pip at the small end before and still manage to hatch on their own. Though sometimes I have to go ahead and assist. Usually when I notice this, I make the pip a bit bigger by taking away a few pieces of shell to make sure the chick is getting air. Then I wait, if it hasn't hatched in 24 hours, then I will assist. Carefully zip the shell in a circle around the egg cutting though the shell and the membrane and place it back in to kick the two havles apart on it's own. I haven't lost a chick that pipped at the wrong end yet. In fact, one did just last week, but it had managed to hatch on it's own. Good Luck!

I've never had head on the wrong side of the egg but I can give you some pointers for helping! I have had several eggs get stuck to the shell and None have ever died when I helped. I use a medicine cup filled with warm water and a Q-tip and wet the area and use tweezers to knock off some shell and membrane. If you see any fresh blood stop immediately and wait 1-2 hours to help again. It's best to only do a little at a time to make sure the chick does do some work and gains strength. Hope this helps if its not too late!

I've never had head on the wrong side of the egg but I can give you some pointers for helping! I have had several eggs get stuck to the shell and None have ever died when I helped. I use a medicine cup filled with warm water and a Q-tip and wet the area and use tweezers to knock off some shell and membrane. If you see any fresh blood stop immediately and wait 1-2 hours to help again. It's best to only do a little at a time to make sure the chick does do some work and gains strength. Hope this helps if its not too late!

I've only had one hatch from the wrong end and I helped. It's still important not to get into to big of a hurry though. I would follow seramachick8's advice for helping. Chip away at the egg as if the chick was doing it and stop if you see blood.

Back
Top Bottom