Has anyone had their chicken do THIS?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by emickels, Oct 1, 2016.

1. emickels

emickels Just Hatched

Jun 4, 2016
    Okay, I have a RiR hen. She been free range since nearly after I got her (in April) and stayed in our back yard with 4 other chickens (purchased after her in May) We had an issue with a chicken hawk that killed one of the other 4, so instead of risk it, we built a pen. Since we don't have a coop, and she had laid eggs in the large pet taxi before, we have been using that until our coop is finished. We put the chickens in the newly built pen Saturday 9/24.She has laid an egg everyday since she started laying. Saturday and Sunday, no egg. Monday finally, an egg. No eggs Tuesday, Wednesday one egg, no egg Thursday, or Friday, and then today 10/1, THREE eggs. Perfect eggs. No issues with the shell? ODD! Has anyone's chicken ever done this?!

2. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Could she have hidden them? And is she your only hen?

3. ProfNancy

ProfNancy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    Mountain Home, ID
    Shock of a new home can disrupt their laying. Should get back tonormal soon.

4. emickels

emickels Just Hatched

Jun 4, 2016
    She's not our only hen, however, we have three other ameracanas but they haven't even began laying yet. And they wouldn't look like her big brown ones, right? Couldn't have hidden them from us since she lays them in the pet taxi on straw. Here's our set up for now:

[​IMG]

5. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Huh. Well, I guess you have yourself a super hen [​IMG]

6. emickels

emickels Just Hatched

Jun 4, 2016

Turns out she was hiding them. Taking the straw and kicking it over top the eggs. Didn't figure it out until I started really going through the straw

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by