has anyone had their eggs analyzed for nutrients?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by McGoo, Apr 3, 2011.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I would like to find out what level of cholestrol and omega 3 fatty acid my eggs have in them. Does anyone know of a company that does the nutritional assessment rather inexpensively?

2. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I'd LOVE to know how much cholesterol is in my eggs cause I'm eating a lot of them. They're sooooo delicious and I have soooooo many and I can't bear the thought of letting any go bad...and believe it or not, I can't give many away b/c most people I know are afraid to eat them. Can you believe that! Even my DH waited a while to see if I'd get sick before he ate one! (but then I've been waiting to see if he gets sick drinking the beer he makes...shhhhhh [​IMG] )

3. McGoo

Based on all the studies previously done on free range chickens, I believe the cholestrol will be very low and the Omega 3 fatty acids quite high... all good stuff.

I've been given two companies that do the testing, but I'd love to know of one that might be a bit less expensive and has been used by others.

Thanks,

4. McGoo

Oh, and where are you in LI?

5. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Quote:I'm in Huntington.

Mine aren't free range though. Does that make a big difference. I feed them organic food and give them treats. I try to stay with greens, oatmeal w/ flaxseed, sprouts, BOSS, a little cracked corn and whatever else I come across while cooking dinner. My compost bucket has some competition now.

6. McGoo

The variety is what it's all about. Sounds like yours are doing very well with the total mix.
    Someone on the forum recommended a book called City Chicks. It's really a great book and talks about composting w/Chicks. Might be of interest. I'm trying some of their methods this year... ie. planting vegetables within their space, with a fence to only allow them a little and they keep pests at bay.

7. McGoo

Oh, and I'm in Ossining... along the Hudson, just north of Tarrytown. I'm inland a bit.

8. McGoo

Anyone done an analysis of their eggs? Do you know where I can look for a lab?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by