Has anyone had thier gall bladder removed?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by urban dreamer, May 25, 2010.

1. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    Hi all! [​IMG]

So I'm having my gall bladder taken out in the next couple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone eles has had thier's out. I really don't know what to expect, I still have my tonsils and wisdom teeth! I have an appiontment with the surgeon who is doing the surgery this Friday. Im sure he could answer alot of the technical questions, but I would like to hear some personal experiences too.

Thanks!

2. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

My mom had hers out not too long ago. It was done laproscopically. She was tender for a couple weeks afterward, but I think that was about it.

3. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    [​IMG] I hope you will be feeling better soon!
    [I haven't had mine out]

4. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I had mine out 16 days ago. It wasn't a planned surgery, I went to the ER with severe pain, nausea, vomiting, and fever. Had a huge stone and huger infection. It was removed less than 6 hours later. I was lucky, they were able to do it with the laparascope, despite the huge stone.

What kind of questions do you have? I'm sure recovery is different for everyone, and I had a big infection to deal with on top of it. The "plus" side, if there was any, was there was no anticipation of the event-- I was sick, they said " it has to come out now" I told them to get on with it- and it was done.

Quote:

5. urban dreamer

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    WOW you guys are fast!!! Hillbilly Hen, I hope I feel better too! This has been going on for almost five months now. I can't wait till I can eat normally again!

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My husband had his out in the third week of March. Now, he did let it go too long, dang rockhead that he is, but it went great. Four little tiny holes, (it was laparoscopic), and home the next day! Ususlly they can send you home the same day, but see rockhead note.

His biggest complaint? He got mighty sick of Jello!

Let's see.... surgery was on a Wednesday, came home Thursday. Tottered around for a day or so. Saturday and Sunday he rototilled the freaking garden. He was back at work, fulltime, on Monday even though he had orders to go on light duty.

DO take it easy when starting a normal diet again. Try things out to see how they work for YOU, since everyone is different.

No sweat, take it easy and let me know how it goes for you.

All the best!

7. grammypam

grammypam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Oronoco,Minnesota
    I haven't had mine out,but assisted with hundreds of them in surgery. Patients did wonderfully especially if it was able to be done laparascopically. If you have an open procedure,it will be a bit longer recovery but you will be fine. Don't worry. And go in with a positive attitude. It is amazing how that makes a difference with recovery. Good luck to you.

8. urban dreamer

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    NurseNettie, thank god mine isn't a gallstone! I have been having major nausea and pain everytime I eat though. Its a whole lot worst when I eat anything greasy or spicy (I havn't had a burger in five months!). The doc says my gall bladder is only working 11% of the time. Its not responding to the CCK hormone that makes it contract. How long has it taken you to recover? When were you able to go back to work? Has your diet changed since you got it out? You didn't have any indication of the gallstone and infection until then?

ETS: Thank you to everyone who has responded! I didn't expect anything this fast! I was kinda worried because I am a college student and the surgery is gonna be in the middle of the summer semester (I can't miss class for anything). I also don't have alot of sick leave thanks to all the other appiontments I've had leading up to this one, so I would like to have an idea of how much of my vacation time I'll have to use (which sucks).

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  9. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I had lots of symptoms, for 3 or 4 years, but never had it checked. We moved to Northern Maine 2 years ago, and it's been hard to establish a primary doctor since moving ( not many docs in the area). I'm also a nurse, an LPN, and had guessed I was having some gallbladder "attacks" but when they started, I'd feel sick late in the day, with the pain, and by morning it would go away. I'd tell myself to get it checked, and a few months would go by before it happened again. First, it was about 6 months between attacks , but got closer, and worse. I'd had 3 'attacks" in a 5 week period, the last one didnt' go away overnight, and I was sick for 4 days before I went to the ER.

Most of the attacks were set off by fatty food, but not always-- it was pretty random, I could have pizza 10 times without a problem, and on number 11, it was a problem. The surgeon says it's because the stone wasn't always "lodged" in the neck of the gallbladder , it would probably move back, and the pain would go away. MY ultrasound showed a huge stone (think 25 cent piece or larger) that wasn't moving anymore. He said it was probably forming for years, and my gallbladder was badly infected and becoming gangrenous. I had a very high white blood cell count, 101 fever ( still 100 when I left 48 hours later).

I had surgery at 2 pm on Sunday, went home on Tuesday around 4 pm. I could have gone home Monday, but it had been less than 24 hours since I was admitted to my room, I was on IV antibiotics, still had a 101 fever, and was very weak due to the infection and not eating for days.

Since I've been home, I've done very well. You will probably have a drain in place when you go home, that will be removed a few days later. Mine was removed on Friday ( so, 5 days total in place). This was uncomfortable because it is "stitched" and you can feel the pull when you move. The other 3 wounds were steri-stripped, those fell off at about a week's time.

I could have gone back to work last week, if my job wasn't physical at all. Because I'm a nurse in a small residence, there isnt' any light duty, and I'm always at risk for lifting, pushing, pulling, etc that is "unplanned" or "traumatic" ( ie catching someone who is falling, dodging someone's aggressive behavior, repositioning folks who have scooted too far in their chairs, etc) so they suggested "2 more weeks"at my follow up last week, which makes my total out of work time about 3 1/2 weeks. Again-- I could have been back sooner, if the job was different.

I'm a big girl. My mother in law was so kind to tell me " well, you know what they say... Fair, Fat and 40-- that's who get their gallbladders out", LOL. .... Between not eating beforehand, during hospital stay, and not having much of an appetite, I've lost about 20 pounds in the 2 weeks since I got sick. ( doesn't show tho!!) My appetite isnt' near what it was. Part of it might be psychological-- I'm afraid I'll get sick, maybe. The other part is just recovery, so I'm told. I feel full very quickly, they reccomend small, frequent meals until I figure out what wont' bother me. It'll take awhile for my body ( and yours too) to adjust to having no gallbladder. He also told me to expect some mild nausea, and some diarrhea for about 2 -3 months while I adjust. I've noticed differences, but nothing life-changing or nothing that's interfereing with me.

Overall, I feel like a new person. I'm still tired, but definitely turned a big corner after the first week. Every day is better, and I think you'll probably feel very much the same when you realize "that pain" or whatever you're having shouldn't happen again [​IMG] I'm really being VERY careful so that I don't create any problems with healing. Because I'm heavy, there is bigger risk of herniating the muscles if I do too much before I'm totally healed, so it's been killing me to sit on my butt and do less than I want. I am a TERRIBLE patient, and terrible at being "sick". I hate it. But, I keep telling myself that a little discipline now will avoid problems later. While I was waiting for my follow up last week, a girl in the waiting room, a bit bigger than I am, had the same surgery a week before me and her recovery had been BAD. I suspect it was lifestyle-related, and that she had done more than she should ( she had 2 small kids at home, and it sounded like a husband who wasn't supportive). She said she had herniations at the umbilical site ( belly button) that they were going to have to go and repair later. Just made me even more determined to be a good girl!!!

Feel free to PM me with any more questions!!!

Edited to add::: I'm sure you will recover very quickly, and be back to class ASAP!!! Especially since it's planned, and you don't have an infection, etc. You'll still be "healing" for awhile, but able to do most things very quickly!

Quote:

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  10. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I can't help much yet with recovery part. I just met with surgeon today. I am having mine taken out on Friday. Had the hida test last friday and the results were I had 5% function. I am supposed to have day surgery, laproscopy. I guess I have an over cautious Dr. He has said no lifting any thing heavier than knife,fork and plate for 1st week. And that he wants me very lazy and bored for 6 weeks. My Dr. is very funny and has a great bedside manner. On his post Op instructions it actually says this:

Jackson's Rule # 1 - - - Anything that you can possibly get at a fast food restaurant or a convience store or that tastes really, really good.......DO NOT EAT IT!

Jackson's Rule # 2 - - -Anything that a 95 - year - old lady with no teeth would eat, You can eat!

What a character! He has a picture hanging in his waiting room that is very comforting, it is Jesus with his arm around a surgeon operating, Jesus' other hand is guiding the surgeons hand. The title of the picture is CHIEF OF MEDICAL STAFF. Beautiful!

I wish you well with your recovery and everyone else who is dealing with these problems.

I told DH I was going to post about gallbladders and he said I was silly nobody wanted to hear that stuff,I had to get him out of bed to prove to him that someone had beat me to it! He was looking like this [​IMG] .

Micah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by