Has anyone had thier gall bladder removed?

I had mine out about 10 years ago it was a piece of cake. EXCEPT mine had set up ganggreen was put in hospital day before surgery pummped full of cipro taken out the next morning stayed that night went home the next day was vaccuming the floors and doing laundry as usual dh couldn't stand it without me cooking and my house was tore upside down so someone had to do it.

I had mine out in 2004. It was awful, not the surgery part though. I don't know if you have gallbladder pain or not, but if you do the pain from that is like 10 times worse then post operative pain.

I was sick when mine had to come out, I was put in the hospital for antibiotics the day before. Actually I went to the ER and they sent me home because I did not have a high white count. But I don't get a high white count like other people, I actually have a very low white count due to Leukopenia from Lupus.

Anyway they did it laproscopicly. I was in there 3 days afterward. I was so sick still from the gallbladder. I was told I wouldn't wake up unless it was to vomit. I don't even remember being there. I also had a reaction to the Demerol. It really sucked.

Once I was out I went back to work no problem, the rest of the recovery was easy as pie.

I eat everything I want, in fact have a terrible diet.

I had a few attacks with my first pregnancy, but then it went away. I didn't have another attack until I was pregnant the second time, but when they started they wouldn't quit! I got them constantly, no matter what I ate. I had surgery when I was 4 months pregnant-I lost about 30 lbs. and literally could eat NOTHING! My surgery went well, I had to stay overnight because pregnancy is high-risk for surgery. After I had the surgery it was okay for 2 days-then it started again. I had 5 ultrasounds, an MRI, and a scope done to see if I had ulcers. It didn't matter what I ate, it gave me severe pain for hours. My last attack lasted for about 12 hours and had me so doubled over I wanted to die! I was annointed by our ministers the day I went to the hospital and the doctors never did find out what was wrong. They suspect there was a stone stuck and I must have passed it. I have never had a problem since. I was terrified to try eating for a while after. The only thing that may happen after it is out is mild diarrhea after fatty meals.
I wish I would have been told it would come back-I would have had the surgery as soon as my first daughter was born. In pregnancy, there are a lot of things that they normally would do that they can't do. They normally could put a balloon in to pull out a stone that is stuck, but it uses radiation so there is a big risk for the baby. Also, the drugs they normally give you for a stomach scope are known to cause birth defects, so I had to be awake for that!
sickbyc.gif

Good luck-it will go fine! I have 4 tiny scars, but they are barely noticeable.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the stories! My right side has been hurting all morning and Im fighting nausea. I can't wait for Firday so I get the ball rolling. I've only lost three pounds since early February when this thing started to act up. Your guys are right about the "acting-up-gallbladder-diet"- if it taste good, don't eat it! You know, alot of people are surprised when I tell them Im having it out becasue Im only 21. Im glad its a "common" surgery and Im not alone!

Back
Top Bottom