Has anyone had this happen?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by trickiredhead, Jul 8, 2010.

1. trickiredhead

trickiredhead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2009
    My third keet semi hatched out yesterday, I help it out a little. Well its in the Keet mansion with the other two that I have so far; I noticed that its toes did not stretch out they are still curled in. It looks like little clubs, the toes are there just not out like the other two keets. Should I try to uncurl them and work with the feet? This is my first batch of keets so I'm not really sure what to do. He is keeping up with the others, eating drinking, actually fighting them back if they try to take food from him. But he is smaller than they are and a little slower but not by much, the others are older by 2 and 4 days. Advice please.

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Give it one more day. If the toes are still curled then make a shoe to flatten the toes and hold them in place. We're talking keets here so it might be a frustrating task, keep at it and eventually you'll get something that works.

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I have one like this. I took a band aid and cut the pad off. Then stick the foot in position to the sticky part. Wrap around the toes and put another sticky strip on top. It should fall off in a few days, by then the toes will have straightened out.

4. Plain_View_Farm

Plain_View_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I agree...
    What I do is take an index card and cut a little piece out of it the shape of the foot including the three toes.
    Then take thin strips of adhesive tape (1/4" wide)
    Set the foot on the "boot" and tape the toes to it.
    Generally within about 3 days the toes will straighten and be normal.
    This is best done with an assistant...lol
    Not doing anything will lead to the the Keet being crippled and probably not have a very good Quality of Life.

David

5. trickiredhead

trickiredhead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2009
    well the little guy didn't make it through the weekend. Came home from errands yesterday and he had passed away. I guess it wasn't meant to be for him. BUT the other two are going strong. They are such a hoot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by