1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone hatched eggs from Blue Swedish x Black East Indies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Nov 24, 2011.

1. I hatched a couple of eggs from my Swedish duck pen and thought "these look so different from any others they've given me ---really different". I raised them and kept watching them, thinking these two just don't look right. Well, I finally figured it out. I have a black East Indies bantam drake that just roams around (flies around, he's a good flier) where ever and he must have gotten lucky with one of the blue Swedish girls. He is so darn tiny, I didn't think it was 'physically' possible he could mate a big duckgirl.
    The 'grown now' ducks are dark blue, have black bills and feet, and small or no bib, but they are full-sized. I know 'where there's a will, there's a way', but it was funny that I didn't even consider the BEI guy as a potential father.
    I might have thought of it sooner if if the ducklings had been small, but they are as big as the Swedish. They are both really pretty, but obviously not Swedish!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Would love to see some pics. [​IMG]

3. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Why wouldn't they pass as swedish?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:They sure are pretty!!

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    They look like Blue Swedish to me. Just hatchery quality and not show quality. I've seen a lot worse than that come out of the hatcheries.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  6. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:X2 they dont look like crosses.

7. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I agree - they don't look like crosses. They still may be but there is no reason to think so from their appearance.

8. Really? Thanks, I thought they looked so different from any other Swedish ducklings I've hatched from that pen that they *must* be crosses.
    Here are a black pair from my blue Swedish pen:
    [​IMG]
    They (and all the other ducklings with the exception of the first 2 circled) look like what I expect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by