Has anyone hatched in a Brinsea Octogon 20?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mediazeal, Apr 4, 2009.

1. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I currently have 24 eggs in cartons 'standing' in the Brinsea incubator. I'm wondering if anyone has experience hatching in one. It seems pretty crowded in there.

I know there will be more room when I take them out of the cartons and lay them on their sides on day 18 (I am supposed to do that right?) I was thinking I need to take them out of the cartons to make as much room in there as I can.

Just wondering if anyone has hatched out the eggs in a full incubator like this one and if there was enough room etc.

2. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    I love mine! i usually get at least a 95% hatch rate. Does yours have a turner and tray with seperators?

3. mediazeal

Feb 26, 2009
    Yes, I have the one with the digital temp and humidity readouts
    amazingly good about keeping the temp steady.
    Autoturner/rocker
    Tray and little bars, but I didnt' use the bars, I cut egg cartons to fit and the eggs are standing in them on the removable tray

Is it ok to take them out of those an lay them on their sides for hatch?
    I am 2 weeks away from that still (4/16) but I've been worrying about it.
    And did your 'hatchlings' have room with all those eggs in there and the low roof to hatch and dry out?
    95% is AWESOME! Amazing! WOWOW
    I'm hoping for better than 50%
    have shipped eggs in there.
    Of the ones I have candled, all I can see into have life swimming around. Its amazing.
    I can see into the hamburgs and barnevelders eggs ok, welsummers and marans are too dark, so no clue on those yet. 6 of each are in the incubator.
    fingers crossed

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  4. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have the brinsea 20 ECO and Tuesday will be day 18. Do I need to take the racks out and lay the eggs on their sides? I have nol idea if I have life in them or not. I have not really been able to see anything when I have tried to candle. And I find all candling does is cause the humidity to go down when I open the top. So I have decided to sit on my hands until day 18 and buy one of the LED penlight flashlights prior to that date and hope for the best.

I am a little worried because I found the turner on the bator had not rotated the eggs for at least 24 hours.[​IMG] This is my first ever hatch and I am just wishing for at least 50%...

5. mediazeal

Feb 26, 2009
    Cackle, what do you mean the turner had not rotated them for 24 hours?
    Do you have the autoturning stand? (I do) did it break or something?

The Brinsea instructions say to take it off the turner on Day 18 and put the incubator on the table. And to take out the little bars (they are primarily to hold the eggs in position while the autoturner rocks the entire incubator)
    So I know they expect you to lay the eggs on the tray without the bars at day 18.

I will be very interested to hear how your hatch goes. How many eggs do you have in?

Good luck!

6. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Yes, I have the autoturn. Not sure what happened but it seemed to have gotten stuck. My DH messed with it and got it rotating again. Not sure why is got stuck as it is sitting in the middle of a table. But I realized I did not hear it rotating and watched it for a while and it never moved.

I have 24 eggs due to hatch 4-10. 4 silkies and some BR/RIR mutts and some RIR. I tried to pick out only BR/RIR so I would be able to tell the sex but I am sure I probably have a few RIR in there. When I put the same sort eggs under a silkie I ended up with 4 black sex links and 2 RIR. 3 eggs did not hatch. This first time I am just hatching from my own hens. Next go round I want to get some light colored silkies. I have 3 black and one gray.

When are yours due to hatch.

7. mediazeal

Feb 26, 2009
    Awesome
    yours are due about a week before mine (4/16)
    I will be watching to see how yours doo Cackle, be sure to post about it!

8. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    I use the bars, and there is enough room for the chicks when they hatch, the first one gets a little cramped with all of the eggs and the shell it came out of, but just take the shells out as you see fit. Good luck on your hatch!

9. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Day 18... I took the incubator off the turner and I did take the bars out. So now I start sitting on my hands....This is really going to be hard. I just realized how quite it is without the turner motor going. This is really going to drive me crazy. Good thing they are hatching during the week and not on the weekend when I am at home.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  10. mediazeal

Feb 26, 2009
    Ok, we are watching with you. GOOD LUCK!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by