1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone heard of a chicken never regrowing her feathers...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crystalchik, Dec 22, 2009.

1. crystalchik

crystalchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    after a molt? My Champ Porcelain d'Uccle, who as since passed away, never regrew some of her feathers after her last molt. She was in the midst of a molt, and she lost most of her tail feathers and her flight feathers. Afterwords, only a few tail feathers and flight feathers grew back in. This is the only picture I have of her like this. She was pretty worn looking, but she was about 6-7+ years old. She went without these feathers for about a year, in which I could not show her. She was my best and original hen, so this was devestating to me. Any ideas on what happened? Even when she molted again, they didnt come back in. Not even pin feathers. I looked at the skin where the feather should have been, and it didnt even look like a feather had ever existed there...there was not hole or anything. (Her beard never regrew either, but that was plucked by her mate.) And the rest of the line has never had problems like this either.
    Insight?
    [​IMG]

2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    You said she was 6-7 years old. Mabe it was age??? I dont have any other ideas - - - my girls are yet to reach their first moult...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by