Has anyone heard of this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Patricia Jane, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I have a Barred Rock who is very friendly and will follow every step I take. However she has started doing a really annoying habit. Every time I wear a red shirt she will jump up and grab my shirt tale. She gets pretty agressive when doing it. I have resulted to sticking my foot out and giving her a light push and saying no. Does anyone know why? I'm alittle nervous when I have my back turned. She reminds me of a bull and I'm the waving red flag. Could she hate red, can they even see color? I guess I can solve the problem and not wear red.

2. upcdayz

upcdayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Are you sure she isn't a he?

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    All of my 20 hens and roosters, are really nuts about red! The only time I take red anywhere near them is in a red plastic treat bucket. Then it's a riot! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  4. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    My girls go nuts for red and certain shades of pink. I've had to give up using red polish on my toes. [​IMG]

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

good thing i never wear red!

6. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    They just HAVE to be able to see red, I made the apparent mistake of buying my new beagle puppy a red collar and they would attack him in a drove, I ended up trashing that collar for a blue one, solved the problem instantly! Poor Lou, it really made him pretty darn afraid of chickens!

7. Patricia Jane

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Quote:That's funny, Come to think of it I will hide my hands if I have any slight shade of red or dk pink. Even my 3wk old barred rocks peck at my fingers. [​IMG]

8. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Mine peck at my toenails when they're painted red. I have to skip and hop around them to avoid the pecks.

9. Patricia Jane

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Thanks for all your posts. Hmm. That's really strange. I wonder why red? I'm going to see if I can find out why. I'm real curious now. And Impress. I giggled when I read your post but your poor poor puppy. Now he's afraid of chickens and I really can't blame him.

10. Patricia Jane

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Quote:Yea shes a she. Shes a year old now. The thought had crossed my mind that she took on the roll of a rooster. But she only does it when I wear red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by