Has anyone heard of....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by duck&chickencrazy, Feb 10, 2009.

1. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    sexing chicks when they are 1-5 days old by the growth of their wing feathers. i heard this and i was wondering if it was true.

2. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    It does not work on all chicks just where it has been bred into them. Though it did work on my 6 pumpkins 100%. 2 males and 4 females, perfect. [​IMG]

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    have heard of it and seen it done...nope can't help you on doing it...requires alot more attention to detail than I want to put into it...I have a limited amount of detail attention and spend it on really important things [​IMG] like food

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Google *wing sexing*

Lots of info

5. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Does the comb ever give a clue? On a day old chick that is![​IMG]
    Just curious if anyone knows.
    Carolyn

6. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    Usualy the comb on a rooster will grow quicker then a hens. so i guess which ever ones grow combs first are roosters....if they're all the same EXACT age.

7. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Very interesting,

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    could always go with the classic "hold upside down" trick [​IMG] or grab the back of their necks...

9. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    So far I have guessed mine 100% using coloring, combs or feather sexing. It just depends on the breed of birds. With combs usually it takes about two weeks for me.

10. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Thanks guys!
    We let a broody hatch some eggs for us last year and tried to guess the sex of the chicks by looking to see if their combs were laying kind of off to one side or if it stood in a straight up. Now we made our guesses on day one and kept track and we correctly sexed 7 out of 8. It may have been just dumb luck.
    Now we just hatched 11 chicks and 6 have little bent over combs and 5 have little standing combs so we will see if we are right. It's not very scientific just lots of fun.[​IMG]
    Carolyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by