Has anyone here ever used a solor oven?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by warmfuzzies, Apr 23, 2009.

1. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I am thinking about making one, and I wondered if anyone has any experience with this.

Here are some pictures, I am thinking of making a box-type one.
    http://solarcooking.org/plans/

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I can honestly say I have never even heard of it, much less seen something like that!!!!

3. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    There's a neat one in Mother Earth News site that cooks hot dogs.

4. farmgirljen

farmgirljen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Corvallis Oregon
    I remember making one of these when I was in kindergarten at a daycamp thing I went to. Anyway- we made biscuits, and it worked.

5. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I saw them build and use one on a TV show, looked pretty neat they even showed how to make one if the electric were to go out. All they used was cardboard box covered in foil and it really worked. The idea is pretty cool.

6. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    I have-- though it was pretty much a shoebox lined in foil with a skewer shoved through the middle. Great for hotdogs on a hot day. It can take some time, though, so not when you're in a rush.

Of course, I live in Southern AZ...

edited for spelling [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  7. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I want to make one of those frensel lense cookers. Have you seen those on youtube?

I did make a solar oven out of two carboard boxes, shavings, foil, and plexiglass. Box inside a box with foil lining and shavings for insualtion.

I was a kid and it worked just fine. I baked myself some corn bread.

8. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Yup, thats what they are. A box, foil and a glass cover. I'm gonna do it just as soon as I get some boxes. Here is the one I want to try.

[​IMG]

ETA we get so much sun here I have no doubt we could use one most of the winter too.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  9. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    I haven't used one but we did have a neighbor who used one. I don't remember much about it other that he seemed to like it. Box type is what he had also. Susan

10. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    My dad designed and built a solar water heater years ago, but it was too heavy to go on the roof, so he took the tank out, moved it to a very sunny spot in the yard, facing south, and he and my mom used it as a slow cooker for years. Worked great! I think I could make a rough sketch of how it was constructed, but don't know the details. It sure wasn't a thing of beauty, but it was free cooking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by