Has anyone here hatched Emu eggs? with pic

revelu

Songster
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
Midland, MI
Just tell me everything you know!! ;0) The basics of incubation and hatching temps/humidity are on the net, but
tell me some personal experiences -- these just arrived this morning so the end of January will be hatch time--

8040_emu_eggs_120608b_with_chicken_egg.jpg

"Other Fowl-Turkeys, Pigeons, Doves, Quail--and EMUS???? I thought those were extinct?? Wow, this is so cool!
pop.gif

I know!!!!
big_smile.png

The color doesn't show up well on that bad picture but they are such a beautiful dark green, blue-green, gorgeous color!

there was a video on Youtube about this but i can't find it anymore so i got this for you i hope it helps

Incubating Emu Eggs

Incubation Period

The incubation period for emu eggs is 43-50 days.

Incubation Temperature

The temperature in the incubator for emu eggs is 96.5-97 degrees fahrenheit.

Humidity Levels

The humidity level (wet bulb thermometer) for emu eggs is 70-75 degrees fahrenheit.

Final Day Of Egg Rotation

The final day of egg rotation for emu eggs is day 40-47.

Please note that all of this information is only a guide and that this information may differ according to the incubator manufacturer’s guide.

Always consult the manufacturer’s guide when using an incubator and automatic egg turner.

We hatched 40 some, but it was like 10 or 15 years ago. We used information from a book called The Emu Farmers Handbook. Great book. There are 2 editions of it. The babies are pretty cool. It is like hatching dinosaurs. Because of their stripes on their backs I called them running watermelons. Have sturdy 6' fencing ready for them when they get bigger. Have fun and good luck.

Last edited:
Interesting info about incubating emu eggs. I have a breeding pair and have always let the male sit the nest. Average time for him to hatch the chicks is about 56 days.

I need to go down to their run tomorrow for an egg hunt as I don't think I want to let them hatch any out this year. As large as the eggs are you'd think they'd be easy to find in a 100' x 25' run... but last year they "hid" about a dozen from me!

Good luck with your hatch... the chicks are SO cute.. I hope you'll post pics.

Here's a pic of Keeper relaxing in amongst the corn stalks... he was one of the chicks from a couple of years ago:

14651_horses_2004_winter_066.jpg

LOL, if you think the eggs look prehistoric... you should see their feet!

Back
Top Bottom