Has anyone in Eastern Ontario moved their chicks out to the coop yet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickie-is-obsessed, May 16, 2010.

1. chickie-is-obsessed

chickie-is-obsessed Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Belleville, Ontario
    I have 7 Silkies and 11 Brahmas - all 2 1/2 weeks old. I would love to get them into the coop with one or possibly two heat lamps so they have lots of room. I was wondering if anyone else has moved them out yet. This week the outside daytime temps will be in the upper 60F low 70F (low 20ishC) and the night time temps will be in the 40-50F (low teens C) What do you think?

2. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey,

Mine have been in the coop since I brought them home a day old. i have both meat and laying chicks in two different coops. The laying hens (baby chicks) have a heat lamp still 24/7. They are 3 weeks old. I also have an little electric heater in there. It has a thermostat on it so it only kicks on when the temps drop at night. (I have it on low) Today I will leave lamp on them, and leave doors open for fresh air.

The meat chicks are 4 weeks and they have just a heat lamp. I turn this off durning the day. (warm days like today)

I use 250 watt bulbs in heat lamp. Make sure it is 18 inches high (prevent fire) So I have 15 laying chicks with one lamp and 30 meat chicks with one lamp. I hope this helps

3. chickie-is-obsessed

chickie-is-obsessed Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Belleville, Ontario
    Quote:Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by