1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

has anyone kept golden phesants with button quail in a large aviary?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by animals1981, Sep 26, 2010.

1. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    the phesants cant catch the lil quail in a large 250 sq foot aviary can they

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Three things wrong with this picture...

One: button quail are monogamous, so they don't do good in aviaries.
    Two: One peck from a pheasant would kill a button quail
    Three: Button quail can escape from an aviary very easily.

So no, it's not a good idea. [​IMG]

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Yes, YEs, and YES

The best birds to house button quail with are flying small birds such as finches, doves...parrots not a good idea. There are some finches that will bald a button quail and use their feathers as nesting material! One of my customers had a naughty zebra finch in the aviary haha...

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:LOL JUST WATCH THEM! I TAKE IT YOU DONT HAVE THE GOLDENS YET?

5. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I had Ga. Giants & ringnecks together last summer. No troubles at all [​IMG]

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    But Georgia giants are 3x the size of buttons [​IMG]

7. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    its 250 sq foot and 10 feet high lots of hiding spaces ive seen a pigeon beat up a golden phesant b4

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:DOESNT SOUND LIKE MUCH OF A PHEASANT....

I HAVE A RED GOLDEN MALE THAT HAS KILLED 3 SPARROWS THIS YR FOR TRYING TO COME INTO HIS VERY LARGE ENCLOSURE TO GET A BIT OF FREE LUNCH... THE WILD AFRICAN TOADS HE JUST KILLS AND PILES THE CARCASSES UP AGAINST THE INSIDE DOOR OF THE AVIARY AS A GIFT. YET HE'S VERY SWEET AND LOVEABLE TO US AND HIS LADIES. WILL COME RIGHT TO US FOR ATTENTION, LIKES TO BE HELD AND ALWAYS LOVES TREATS HE CAN TAKE BACK TO THE GIRLS TO IMPRESS THEM WITH.

ULTIMATELY THEY ARE YOUR ANIMALS--- YOUR GOING TO DO AS YOU WISH WITH THEM. BUT ITS VERY LIKELY THIS IDEA WILL LEAD TO A POOR OUTCOME FOR YOUR BUTTONS. 250 SQ FT IS NOTHING FOR GOLDENS--- TO THEM THATS LIKE LIVING IN A TRAVEL TRAILER( WAIT- GOLDENS??? OK MAKE THAT A SINGLE WIDE TRAILER) . 10 FT HIGH-- WONT HELP YOUR GROUND DWELLING BUTTONS MUCH, SEEING AS HOW THEY WILL BE ON THE GROUND WITH THE GOLDENS--- NOW SAY YOU USE BUTTONS WITH RABIES AND A LONG STANDING HISTORY OF MENTAL ILLNESS? WELL THEN THE 10FT HIEGHT WILL BE A DEFINATE PLUS FOR YOUR GOLDENS [​IMG]

NO MATTER THE OUTCOME OR WHAT YOU DECIDE TO DO I HOPE ALL WORKS OUT FOR YOUR PLAN AND YOUR BIRDS... BUT BEIN' A BETTING MAN MY MONEYS IS ON THE GOLDENS.

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Button quail are 3.5 inches in length. They are small. I suggest you keep them separately for the welfare for your button quail. If you are housing the button quail correctly, I assume you are going to have a pair in the aviary, and that pair, being the size of a mice, being put as bait for a pheasant...not a good idea at all. Please reconsider.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by