Has anyone made a box for a dirt/dust bath

NewHobbyForMe

Songster
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
Missouri
My chickens are trying to take a dirt bath but the ground is frozen. The other day when it was thawed out they had mud balls stuck to their feathers. I'm thinking of making a box out of plywood and putting good dry dirt and sand in it. Then I'll put it in their covered chicken run. Any other suggestions??

Quote:
I did one that was 12 x 24 x 4" deep and usually only had one at a time in it. It was indoors tho. Am planning a bigger one under the coop where it is 3 ft vertical space. Kind of a rainy day hangout and dust bath place.
wink.png

I use a bus pan bought at a restaurant supply store. It is strong but not heavy, and has handles so it's easy to pick up for cleaning and filling. I'm not sure how much they cost. DH came home with several one day to use to age venison in the fridge. It works great as a "hen spa" filled with sandy loam and DE.

I think that they'll appreciate anything you give them. I notice that mine like really light stuff, but when things are frozen yours are lucky to get anything you give them.

Rachel, TX

Back
Top Bottom