Has anyone made a chicken coop out of an old wooden swingset?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AckChicks, Sep 21, 2009.

1. AckChicks

AckChicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Clearly this is no longer safe for our children to play on. I think we could make the part that the slide attaches to into the house part and obviously take off the slide and maybe take off the monkey bar wing too. Does anyone have any advice on how we can use this swing set to make a chicken coop and run?

[​IMG]

Thanks![​IMG]

2. cphilip

cphilip Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    Clemson SC
    I know there is a thread here with a nice write up of one. I was reading it last night.

There is also this one that I can sort of tell is probably from a swing set, although the OP has not said so, you can make out the monkey bars in the far right upper corner

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=246715

3. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Depending on how many chickens you are planning on putting in the coop, you can easily use the entire left side for one. If you need a large one you can also use the right side as well. The ladders can be put inside for their perches. Once you see a few ideas, look out, your mind won't stop envisioning the possibilities. [​IMG]

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I think you could make the left side a coop by enclosing it somewhat and have vents, popdoor and a ladder going into a run...the run could probably be like an A frame, a triangle??? Tall enough to put a door in so you can get in the run for cleaning. Would use some siding on the lower part and then hardware cloth and maybesome tin or wood on the upper portion as a type of roof....Check the coop design section for 'inspiration'.....[​IMG]

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    fldiver has good ideas

6. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I see sleeping quarters and nesting boxes to the left, attached to a nice a-frame run. The ladder piece is a perfect perch option. The possibilities are endless. Have fun designing and let your imagination be your guide. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by