Has anyone made a homemade egg candler like this?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, Jul 18, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
  2. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I've had chickens for 30 years or more and have never used one , but i've always hatched mostly on own eggs also .

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    me me me except I used a coffee can:) I LOVE it and it is awesome!!!!

4. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    You used a brooder light like that as well? Or a different light? There are so many options and easy ways to make one, it seems. I'm trying to figure out what would be the best [​IMG] TIA!

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I used a coffee can because I felt the lightbulb was to close to the egg other wise-I used a 100 watt light bulb:)

6. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    How big of hole should I use? I'd like it to work with bantam and large fowl.. Could I make one hole that would work with both?

7. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Could you make two covers? One for each? Or make the hole the size of the small side of the large egg, which will fit the big size of the banty?

8. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Yes, I think that is what I will do. I'm sure it will be easy enough. I just need two cans [​IMG] I'm hoping DH can cut me the holes in the cans instead of cutting the whole end off and using cardboard. I found an old clip light that I had too, so I don't have to spend a penny. Yay! [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Thanks SO much for posting this! It's about time for me to buy some coffee, anyway, so I think I'll make a different brand decision just this once (usually buy mine in sacks).... I've got everything else. [​IMG]

Woo hooo!

Of course, then I'll have to be brave enough to open the 'bator to check on those eggs, which scares me.

(We need a smiley with little hands over the eyes, maybe peeking between fingers...)

10. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    LOL! I have mine done already and it's working great!! (w/ a store egg) [​IMG] I'll also be scared to death to try it with one of mine that are int he bator! [​IMG] I just used a soup can and one of those clip lights. Then I used lots of duct tape so no light would escape. A 75 wattt bulb seems to be doing the trick perfectly [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by