1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone made or used milk paint?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tricia, Jun 8, 2008.

1. tricia

tricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
    I am planning on making it, but I'm just curious if anyone here has experience with it and what they thought about it.

2. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    For those of us who don't know...what is milk paint??

3. tricia

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
    [​IMG] In the 1800s they made paint with milk and pickling lime. Its non-toxic and very sturdy.

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Well, since you are more northern than we are, it might work. My dad lives in Arkansas and was doing some work for some people, and the lady had some milk paint flown in from France. The temps get high there and the humidity is pretty bad, too. That paint spoiled and smelled the whole place up. They had to strip it, because they couldn't paint over it and cover up the smell. He said he wanted to vomit and the lady was really upset!

Just do your research and see what you find. Good luck with it, and keep us posted!

Shelly

5. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep, use it all the time. Love it. It is a milk product, you need to keep it refrigerated.

It's different than the paint you'll find at the hardware store. It's thin, streaky and if not mixed well will be grainy. It doesn't cover easily. It's an all around pain in the rear to use for most applications but for my antique reproductions it's perfect! I want the thin, streaky, looks-like-a-two-year-old-did-it look. [​IMG]

6. tricia

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
    She ordered it from France?! Wow - they make it in the states and there are a ton of recipes online for it! [​IMG]

Christine - do you make it or buy it?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  7. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Yes, but this was a Rockefeller...[​IMG] Plus, it was about 20 years ago...pre-internet. [​IMG]

Maybe the ones made here are better suited for our heat and humidity? I love the look!

Shelly

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by