Has anyone made something to keep eggs from rolling during lockdown?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jmcggnj6, May 19, 2018.

1. Jmcggnj6

Jmcggnj6 Chirping

Mar 29, 2017
    SE Kansas
    Just curious rather or not anyone here has fabricated something to keep eggs from getting rolled around as much during lockdown? I know a lot of people use egg cartons and hatch upright but I am talking about something to hold them in place on their sides? I am considering gluing wooden dowel rods together and placing it in the bottom to keep the eggs from rolling as much? Thoughts? Would this work or do more harm than good?

2. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I think you'd just want to make sure they couldn't get toes stuck under anything. I line with textured vinyl drawer liner at lockdown, provides grip and seems to help with rolling a bit too.

3. I just use shelf liner, the eggs wont roll unless pushed by you or multiple chicks. :thumbsup
    I worry too much about clumsy chicks hurting themselves, I don't leave anything inside during lockdown.

Ruralhideaway likes this.
  4. Harmony Fowl

Harmony Fowl Songster

Jul 17, 2017
    Virginia
    I don’t actually use it during lockdown, but I incubate in plastic candy trays. There’s no real reason why they couldn’t be used during lockdown and I bet they would help prevent hatched chicks from moving the unhatched eggs quite so much. The downside is only two of these favorite ones I have will fit well and too many could block some of the moisture from the water wells from reaching the air around the eggs, I suppose.
    AF2E7010-4691-4FBF-9AB7-E506F126B465.jpeg

HuskerHens18 likes this.
  5. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Songster

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    Oh those are really cool. Where did you find them? I usually use drawer liners but the eggs get bumped around.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I would be cautious about using the dowels. Sounds like a recipe for chick injury. I put the waffle rubber shelf liner in my bator for hatch.

Jmcggnj6 likes this.
  7. Harmony Fowl

Harmony Fowl Songster

Jul 17, 2017
    Virginia
    My ex’s coworker is a part time chocolatier and we bought a bunch and he gave us some more. Most chocolates come in all different shapes and sizes but these are terrific because the slots are all the same and just large enough that an average sized egg will sit at a slight angle without falling or rolling. I wish I knew a commercially available candy that was like that. I guard my stash of them against wear and tear fiercely!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: