Has anyone noticed an increase

Rhett&SarahsMom

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
in the amount of predators or nuisance pests, since getting their chickens?

I know that that is one of the things that my city will be sure to mention as I begin to try and get at least my own chickens legal status here.

Myself, I have not seen any increase in pests or predators.
We have always had the usual neighborhood ones. The opposum that lives under the neighbors porch*hasnt been an issue with the chickens*
The family of raccoons that lives on the hillside across the way*no problems with her/them* The HUGE mostly white skunk that got my dog several months ago and also hasnt been a problem. The feral cats. No problems. Granted we have the crazy Border Collie and I am pretty sure non family cats are terrified of him. And he goes around the coop and run every morning and re marks everything. He does love taking care of the chickens. Has given him a job again that doesnt leave him limping.

Now. I do keep the yard, run, coop clean. We do live in the city and I do like using my yard for other outdoor activities. We have a pool that is right next to the run when it is up. And I keep ALL the animal food inside. I rarely even feed my own cats and dog out on the porch.

The only wild life we have coming into the yard that I have seen, beside the typical birds are the incredibly brave squirrels. Those little buggers get into my house on occasion as well.
I havent noticed rats. Or an increase in mice. Granted we have 3 indoor/outdoor cats. On of which is a super hunter. And the neighbors also all have cats. So maybe that is keeping that at bay?

Most folks with chickens end up seeing rats or mice.

The feed store usually sells "Just One Bite" as long as the rats or mice aren't living in your attic or under your home somewhere, it really works. They eat it and they die.

It's either the bad economy, or 'global warming'. Those vermin gotta make a living somehow...

tongue.png

Quote:
I understand that rats and mice are a pain but ...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be very careful using poison to control the vermin..
poisons dont care who they kill...if the rat or mouse eats the poison and your dog or cat decide to play with it or even eat it they will get sick and can even die of a secondary poisoning..fluffy or fido cant tell if the slow mouse is sick and to them its an easy toy...

a few years ago my cat ate a part of a mouse that had gotten into some poison and the cat got really sick...a friend of mine is a vet tech and noticed the signs of poisoning and we rushed the cat to the emerg vet clinic.$1500.00 later my cat is still alive but i will NEVER use poison again..snap traps or glue traps is all i will use

eta: cause i cant spell or type this early in the morning...

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, no. During the day, crows and blackbirds keep the hawks at bay. And at night, the chickens are in a safe coop.

* Knock on wood *

As winter drags on and as available food sources become more scarce your chickens will look more and more tempting to those who are large enough to catch and kill one. Hawks especially.

Your collie and cat will help when they are outside. I had a racoon catch two of mine during a daytime rainstorm. I noticed because several chickens were running fast from the back yard. I found it pulling feathers out of the back of a still alive hen. It got away but the hen was tramatized for a good while.

Buy a State trappers license and a catch-em-alive trap. Set the trap next to your coop. My first year I caught something on average of one every two weeks. I also lost several birds.

Yep, they've just morphed into politicians, loan officers, and auto company CEO's...
lol.png

Sorry, seriously, the only increase has been the frequency the neighbors dog comes to visit
roll.png
Killed 9 birds in one swoop. I'm gettin' me a souped up electric fence that will send him packing.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Do you need a license to trap on your own property? We use a live trap and then shoot the coons, possums, skunks that we catch. Our AC actually recommend that since relocating is illegal. (and well, just rude to make it someone else's problem)

Let me add, I know it's illegal to relocate where *I* am. I don't know if that is the case in every state.

b

Last edited:
I can't say I've seen any more since getting the chickens. Unless you count the bear. But I am finding raccoon and possum tracks around my barn. Good thing it's solid!

I'm not having mice issues in the barn, but I do apparently have one living in my living room wall. I never hear more than one, but I'm sure there could be. Maybe I should set some traps in the basement, that's the only way I can think it'd have gotten in there.

Back
Top Bottom