Has anyone on here tried breeding Coturnix Quail for new egg colors?

NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
Silver Homestead is blog I read and she (he?) is doing an experiment on breeding Speckled Blue eggs and says people are trying to breed robin looking eggs. Has anyone on here done their own egg color breeding?

Silver Homestead is blog I read and she (he?) is doing an experiment on breeding Speckled Blue eggs and says people are trying to breed robin looking eggs. Has anyone on here done their own egg color breeding?
Are you talking about celadon quail? They have a specific gene mutation that allows the egg shell to be blue.

Are you talking about celadon quail? They have a specific gene mutation that allows the egg shell to be blue.
What I mean is has anyone took quails with specific egg characteristics like with speckles or spots, brown, blue ((celedon)), or standard to create a recurring characteristic after generations of breeding. Thanks for the reply/

I've heard people talk about it, but I haven't heard of anyone actually doing it. It would be interesting to see. If you do it, keep us posted, and let us know how many generations it takes!
I plan to try and do so in the hopefully near future. Silverhomestead is a blog I read and she (he?) breed celedons to have more speckles so I hope I can do so with color. I hope to try and create an olive egger coturnix quail one day, or at least breed brown eggers (I have some that lay all of mostly brown eggs so maybe I could breed that). When and if I start this project I will keep you guys updated.

I've frequently noticed one of my eggs have a small blue line (not straight). Is it a celadon gene? It's looks different from the celadon color that I see online. If I didn't collect the eggs myself I would think someone wrote on it.

I've frequently noticed one of my eggs have a small blue line (not straight). Is it a celadon gene? It's looks different from the celadon color that I see online. If I didn't collect the eggs myself I would think someone wrote on it.
I'm not sure. Does that quail always lay them this way? I've heard they can lay weird eggs and can have a line but I haven't heard of a blue line. What is the color inside of the egg? Many people think if the inside of the egg is blue than they have a celedon gene. I believe it because I have some that do and some that don't and we bought them from a local breeder that I also bought celedon from.
Would you be able to post a picture? Later I can find the Silverhomestead blog that shows coturnix quail eggs with lines and other things.

I'm not sure. Does that quail always lay them this way? I've heard they can lay weird eggs and can have a line but I haven't heard of a blue line. What is the color inside of the egg? Many people think if the inside of the egg is blue than they have a celedon gene. I believe it because I have some that do and some that don't and we bought them from a local breeder that I also bought celedon from.
Would you be able to post a picture? Later I can find the Silverhomestead blog that shows coturnix quail eggs with lines and other things.
Not sure if its consistent but every 3 weeks I incubate I see it.

Attachments

• 20220606_191155.jpg
    20220606_191155.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 6
Collected eggs today amd saw many with a blue mark on different position. Its probably from the offspring so its inheritable. So do you think it's possible to get a bluer egg than celadon?

Back
Top Bottom