has anyone or does anyone else massage their chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vclark321, Oct 18, 2011.

1. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    I was reading a book about farming & in one section it discussed chickens. They group said when the hens do the squat hoping you just might be a rooster, when you give them a nice back scratch it helps to relx them, making the egg laying process easier. Is this something you find to be true? Does anyone else tickle their chickens? (Giggle) I am the chicken tickler!

2. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I always rub their back if they squat in front of me.

3. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Mine seem to like it when I rub the area around their crop. If I start with on the others will come around and wait for me to rub them also. I am not sure if it is true for all, but our chickens like to be touched.

4. dantodd

dantodd Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    San Carlos, CA
    yep. If they squat I'll give them some attention. But the other day my #3 (of 5) hen did that and while I was scratching her back a dominant chicken starting going after #3's comb. I whacked the dominant hen but they apparently do like to control who gets attention and when.

5. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    that is so funny! My dominant girl did that very same thing! Came right on over & started nipping at the comb! A chickens version of pulling hair? I gave her a smack & sent her running! Crazy girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by