Has anyone orderd ducks from Estes Hatchery?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Blue Rooster, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Blue Rooster

Blue Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    I am hoping to order a couple of Cayuga ducklings to raise this spring.

Has anyone ordered Cayugas from Estes Hatchery?

I would also like to know if they are guarantied to be pure breed Cayugas because i show chickens and ducks.

This is the closest hatchery to me where the shipping price isn't to high, they are about 3 hours away.

I was going to order some Cayugas from Murray Mcmurray hatchery but there shipping price is really high.

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    I've never ordered from them but they seem pretty good. i would like to recommend a place where i have gotten some cayuga's called metzer farms. How many are you getting? If you get 10 ducklings the shipping is only 10 bucks, but they also ship as little as 2 and it costs around 60 to ship that few. Their birds are really healthy and the cayuga's have good coloring and body type for showing. They have great costumer service and are family owned, so the birds are healthier than normal hatchery birds.

3. Blue Rooster

Aug 19, 2014
    I am only wanting 2 females so the prices metzer farms and Murray Mcmurray have seem crazy high for only two ducklings.

and I'm trying to find a place close enough so they wont be shipped to far, because Kansas weather is always changing i would like to

minimize the shipping time. Its also the first time i am ordering ducklings from a hatchery. I have always gotten my birds from our local tractor

supply store.

Thanks for your help

4. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Just a warning. It is mid winter and unless they ship with a heat pack, they could easily die. If you wait until warmer weather the chances of them making it are much better. I work for the USPS. They are shipped in unheated trucks. It is best not to order in the cold winter or hot summer.

5. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    no problem :) yeah, 2 is not very many, though i'm suprised that estes ships that little for so cheap. the first ducklings i ordered when i was 9 were 4 cayuga ducklings...we paid like 50 dollar shipping...i think it was from efowl. cayauga's are so cool :)

2x...my dad works for ups and they also ship in unheated trucks...i bet all postal services do.

6. Blue Rooster

Aug 19, 2014
    Yes, the only thing i am worried about is the weather. The latest shipping date for Estes is March, 2 and all the other dates are only in February. They don't have any shipping dates for April or May.

If we were to drive to the hatchery it would be about a 6 hour round trip and i don't know if they do pick ups. I do prefer pick ups because they are safe in the warm car.

There site says that there is a heating pack available for purchase but i think is an extra $25 but it will probable be worth it to keep the ducklings warm if i decide to get them from Estes.

and Cayugas are really cool birds.

We have one Cayuga male right now along with two pekins and four mix breeds.

7. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    that's cool...driving definitely would be safer if they do that.

hehe, i love pekins too :) Has your male started turning white? It's really neat when that happens. Some do it early, and some do it late :)

8. Blue Rooster

Aug 19, 2014
    No, our Cayuga male named duke has not. We have had him for about a year. He was given to use by a friend because he was attacking their young hens. Which i think was because he was

only with another male (pekin) and was not socialized. When we brought him home he was not very social and also tried to attack our chickens but it ended up with our hens telling him whose

boss with a head peck and our male pekin also told him whose boss and taught him the social structure. Now he gets along fine with our chickens and the other ducks.
    And I hope to add more Cayugas to my flock [​IMG]

9. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    that's cool...i hope you do too!! ducks are my favorite bird...i totally spoil mine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by