Has Anyone ordered Americanas/Araucanas From Mcmurray Hatchery?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by austrolover1, Feb 5, 2016.

1. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    Hey! I was wondering if anyone has ever ordered Americanas/Araucanas from Mcmurray hatchery? If so, please let me know what you think of them and post pictures of them when they are chicks and fully mature. Thanks!!!

2. FowlStuff

FowlStuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2016
    Michigan
    They don't sell Ameraucana or Araucana chicks, but they do offer Easter Eggers and a new blue egg layer also.
    http://AmeraucanaAlliance.org/faq.html#One

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on FowlStuff; I've ordered them from Murray McMurray on several occasions in the past and what MM sells is Easter Eggers rather than true Ameraucanas or Araucanas. If you're not familiar with the differences, there's a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the differences between true Araucanas, true Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers. The only hatchery that breeds and sells true Ameraucanas is Meyer Hatchery which breeds Blue Ameraucanas and they charge 5 times as much for them as they do their Easter Eggers. No hatchery breeds and sells true Araucanas which are rumpless blue egg layers. They have to be purchased from a reputable breeder. Having said all this, I like MMs Easter Eggers but you need to purchase them with the understanding that that's what they are.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've had EE from MMM on and off over the years and been very happy with them. I've had blue and green egg layers both. I don't have chick pictures but a few adult pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    As explained above, what you get from MM is Easter Eggers - that being said, just received an order from them today that included 5 EE chicks (ordered being well aware of what they actually are) and they are big, healthy chicks with nice fluffy faces. So far there is an interesting variation in color on the chicks so I am curious to see how they end up feathering out as they mature - another fun part of getting EE vs. true bred birds that fit within the recognized color varieties.

6. slutter

slutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2015
    Noble county, Indiana
    Same here they were the biggest of the three breeds I bought this time when I got them.

7. FowlStuff

FowlStuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2016
    Michigan
    And here is my Ameraucanas article, from Backyard Poultry in 2007, that talks about the three.
    http://AmeraucanaAlliance.org/DnLd/Ameraucanas.pdf

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
  9. THEOILYCNTRYGRL

THEOILYCNTRYGRL New Egg

Feb 6, 2016
    I don't have experience with MM hatchery but I do know that Cackle offers Black Ameraucanas this year :) They are very pretty birds!

10. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by