Has anyone ordered from My Pet Chicken?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 3peeps, Jul 5, 2007.

1. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    This has probably been asked before, but has anyone tried ordering small quantities from MyPetChicken.com?

Were you happy with them and are they reputable?

2. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Woops...just found this question under hatcheries.

3. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    I got my chicks from My Pet Chicken, and I was both pleased and displeased. The chicks arrived promptly and were healthy and active. 2 weeks later they're all growing like weeds and eating like pigs, so MPC stock seems healthy. You can also call them and talk to a real person if you have a question. The bad news is that I paid extra to have sexed silkie bantam hens, but the person who does the sexing didn't show up, so they just sent me straight run silkie bantams. They doubled the order of bantams to make it up to me, but I would have preferred a phone call so that I could have told them what I wanted. I didn't want more bantams, I would have preferred more layers. But on the whole MPC was a positive experience and I would use them again.

4. Claire_Bear

Claire_Bear Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    Garrison
    I got all my chickens from MPC and they were pretty good. I had to alter my order because they didnt have some breeds ready to hatch yet. so i had to wait about 2 or 3 weeks to get my birdies. then they didnt enough bantam barred rocks so they sent me two standard hens instead. And i wanted a white silkie, but i had to change my order to black or i would have to wait almost a month. other than that, my chicks grew up happy and healthy!

5. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    ya ive heard alot of good responses from other people about them. im thinking about ordering 1 white and 1 black silkie.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have 5 ameraucana bantams expected tomorrow morning from them [​IMG]
    I like getting a 'real' person to talk to on the phone. They have been good to work with.

7. greenacre

greenacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    I ordered from MPC about a month ago. My order was for 3 hens (Australorp, Barred Rock, and Frizzle Cochin Bantam) but 5 chickens came in the shipment (yet to determine if they are all females or not and the extras were 2 more Australorps). I was very happy to receive extra, but I would have actually paid more if they had allowed me to pick out what I wanted for the other 2 instead of just shipping them. We only ordered 3 because that was all our coop would hold and that was their minimum, so now we are trying to figure out what to do with the extra hens (if they are in fact hens because if they are roos, we can't keep them). I emailed back and forth during the ordering process with customer service and they were always helpful and prompt, but they never mentioned that they were going to send extra (they shipped the first week in June so it was nice weather already). They charge extra for a "heating element" but there was nothing like that in our box; just lots of strips of paper. Overall, I still feel the experience was positive and would order from them again, but maybe I would be more specific on why and what I am ordering. Hope that helps![​IMG]

8. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    If you paid for an heating element and didn't get one then you really paid alot for those extra chicks!

9. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    I ordered my girls from MPC and they were great. I had to wait about a week (maybe two, can't remember), and they sent me an extra chick. Luckily we hadn't started building our coop yet so we could make extra space for this chick (who turned out to be another Gold-laced Wyandotte...hence the name Surprise. I have no idea if it's a male or female). Customer service was very quick to respond every time I had questions and they seem genuinely friendly.

Oh, and the "heating element" is really just one of those little paper heat packs, maybe 3x3", slipped in between the nesting material and the box. I only found it because I tore the box apart looking for it. I wanted to see what I had paid $25 for!

For people who only want a few chickens, MPC is great to deal with.

Amy

10. greenacre

greenacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    Amy...thanks for letting me know about the "heating element". My husband and I actually took our box apart and couldn't find anything, but maybe we missed it. I am new to raising chicks so I don't have much to compare it to, but like I said, I still had a positive experience and would order from them again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by