Has anyone ordered from Sandhill?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Senna95, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    I am thinking about ordering some ducklings from Sandhill. I've got show-quality runner ducks, mostly from Holderread lines, and would like to add some "new blood", but I'm not sure of Sandhill's quality. I'd hate to spend the money and 6 months of time and effort only to find out that they have hatchery quality runners.

Anyone have any pics of their birds? Looking mostly for the greys (mallard), blacks, and whites.

Thanks!!!

2. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    I am in the same boat. I got a trio from Holdereads Grey Runners and would like to get a few more of Show Quality for breeding, I "read" that Sandhill got some of Holderreads Greys , but I can't verify that.. I heard they preserve the breeds, but not necessarily to top standards, at least from the chicken people on here. I haven't seen a single Pic of their ducks or geese, frustrating....

3. All-American-Chick

All-American-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Ramona
    My Coop
    id like to know too[​IMG]

4. Senna95

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Well, if they have Holderread greys, then I'd still have the same bloodlines, and it would be a mute point. Unless, of course, they've had theirs for a few generations.

[​IMG]

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    There are a lot of really good Runner breeders in this country. I would suggest a breeder instead of a hatchery. I've seen some photos of some really outstanding Runners in The Poultry Press.

I've also seen some really nice Runners right here on BYC, so we've got our own breeders of quality Runners.

6. Senna95

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Okay, with that in mind.....

Does anyone have any SQ Indian runners (ducklings or eggs) that are not holderread lines (or at least not for the last 3 generations??)

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Sorry, Holderreads is where i went for mine.
    I have gotten birds from Sand Hill but they were the Golden Cascades.
    Sand Hill knows quality and they have often purchased from Holderreads. If I had more money and time I would purchase a lot more from Holderreads but also look around for breeders that maybe have been working with their bloodlines for a long time and hope to get a bit of diversity.

8. deineria

deineria Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    Friends of mine have been very pleased with their chick purchases from Sandhill

9. Senna95

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    I called Sandhill today: they said that a lot of their runner stock (and other ducks as well) come from Holderreads, but that they've had them for "quite a few years"...... At least a few gernerations, she said. Johnson's Waterfowl said the same thing about their grey (mallard) runners as well.

So the search continues..............

Anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by