Has anyone ordered Langshans from McMurray Hatchery??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by StevenW., Nov 30, 2010.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I really like these and wanting to know if anyone ordered these!!!

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I ordered some from Ideal last spring but they did not live very long. I got the oldest one up to 3 months old but she was never quite right and then she, too, died. I raise hundreds of chicks every year but can not ever get anything from Ideal to do well for me. I just went ahead and crossed my Langshans roo with my Jersey Giant hens for more egg layers or meat birds. I will eventually get some Langshans from a breeder.
    They are a truly gorgeous breed!

3. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:I know they are very pretty thats why I'm planning on getting some and Ideal hmmmmm I dont think I'll order from there... not saying anything bad about them

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    One word: RodriguezPoultry. She's a BYC user here who breeds really good, healthy Langshans, that for one, are as big and beautiful as the illustrations show, unlike what hatcheries sell. [​IMG]

5. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:OHHHHHH What colors does she have??

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
  7. deannd

deannd Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Marin County, California
    Hi,

We ordered the Rarest of the Rare collection from McMurray and got 5 Langshans, 2 white hens and 3roosters (2 black, 1 white) . We gave the roosters away when they were 6 months old and kept the hens. One of the roosters had a twisted leg and a hump on his back. He got around fine and it did not seem to bug him much but he definitely came that way from the hatchery, or was injured in the shipping box and it never healed right.

I still have the two pullets which are now 10 months. They are really nice birds. Not sure if they are show quality or not, but they are healthy and strong. They are not overly friendly, but we have alot of birds so they were not handled too much as chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by