Has anyone purchased this brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ArkaFarmaMama, Sep 26, 2011.

1. ArkaFarmaMama

ArkaFarmaMama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    Needing a new setup! Have any of youn's tried this?

http://www.chickensforbackyards.com/Premium-Brooder-Starter-Package-CBPAK11.htm

I've raised several chicks, but after moving SEVERAL times and now in a new farm, all my
    bits are all over the place and most broken!

This looks simple, nice lamp set up, much better than my old cage and it's solid sided to
    prevent drafts. Plastic should hold up better, worried about moisture though....
    This will last me for years, going to get a small inc. for eggs when I expand my flock....

Any better suppliers/setups? Cheaper? Won't go with the paper setup, too risky cause
    these babies will be in the house for a while and I don't want to fish babies out from
    under the beds!

Thanks so much!!!

2. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I just use a large metal trough brooder, works great plus you can rent for cheap and then return it when you're done.

3. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    We use a galvanized trough indoors.

We also have a homemade 4X4 unit that is outdoors and can act as a mini-coop

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Why spend all that money on something that will kill your back, hurt your wallet, and produce chicks that aren't as trusting and friendly as they could be?

I've discovered that baby chicks are far more trusting when approached from the side, as opposed to being handled from above. Large appliance cardboard boxes are free, and can be fashioned into some very creative "chick condos" as you can see from these photos of ones I've made. One box is adequate for a small brood of three or four, and two placed side by side with a pass-through cut into the adjoining walls will provide plenty of space for six to ten chicks.

Place the whole shebang onto tables and you have a "doll house" set up which is easy on your back and makes it lots of fun to spend time playing with your babies.

When the chicks move into the coop, I collapse the boxes and store them in the tool shed to be used next year for another new batch of babies. A sheet of plastic covering the bottom under the layer of wood shavings keeps moisture from spoiling the cardboard. I've reused these boxes three times now, and it was great to have them when the feed store got in a late summer order of chicks that I ended up not being able to resist.

5. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Two things I don't like: Their poor grammar and the fact you pour the shavings straight onto the floor?! I can just imagine doing that in our spare bedroom!

6. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:x 2. i like the idea of this...

7. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
  8. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I've discovered that baby chicks are far more trusting when approached from the side, as opposed to being handled from above.

YES! I made my brooder to have windows and wire at the front and the chicks are very curious and trusting. The failure in my setup was that I was lazy and just covered the top with hardwarecloth so that I cannot open it at all from the top. There are situations where it would have been easier to have access from above, as the chicks are becoming more curious and I'm afraid they may jump out when I open the doors. I may still change that part of the setup but so far I'm pleased with it.

Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by