Has anyone raised baby chicks in the garage over winter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I would put my chicks in the basement if it were best but trying to keep the dust down. Just wondering...can I raise them in the garage with a 250 watt heat lamp if the box is thick cardboard (watermelon box from walmart)? Will they get too cold? Any ideas will help.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

That is what I am doing now. I have 7 Silkies that are 4 weeks old. They are in a hardwire cloth brooder. I use a poster board and put that around it to block any gusts. I also use a 250 watt red heat lamp. I also put a piece of cardboard across the top of the brooder to keep the heat in. Im also going to be stapling some plastic thick garbage bags around the one corner to keep some more heat in. I have 6 more 1 month old Silkie chicks comming soon. I will probably keep them in the garage at least until November 1st. Then move them to their coop.

ETA: I also have a digital thermometer in the brooder to make sure that it doesnt get too cold.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Thanks sundown...I don't feel so guilty now. I was feeling like a mean chicken mommy! I think I will do the same as you and add cardboard to half of the top. The garage will be closed unless we are pulling cars in and out so shouldn't be too bad. I will keep them in the house for a week or two though just to be safe..unless it's not that cold out in the garage. It will be a little over a month before they are even here bu wanted to get some opinions.

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    If you decide to raise them in the garage, since most garages have cement floors, I would make sure the brooder isnt directly on the floor. Good luck![​IMG]

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Same here. The doors and windows are closed. The only time the doors are open is if it is a nice warm fall day, (then they go outside) or if the cars are pulling in or out.

I use lots of bedding for them. Since the floor is cement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by