Has anyone raised cornish X on 18% chick starter?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rachel, May 13, 2009.

1. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was just wondering if that was possible, this would be my first foray into meat chickens so please excuse the ignorance. They don't sell organic broiler feed here and there are lots of folks interested in organic meat. I was wondering if you fed them a lower protein feed if that would work (and possibly slow down growth to alleviate some leg problems) or am I just totally out of luck. (I already realize it would be REEEEAALLY expensive to do if possible.... )

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    That will work fine. They will grow slower but it shouldn't matter in your case as if you have people willing to pay the extra buck for organic, your not going to have to worry about the cost of the extra feed it takes for them to be ready compared to a 22% protein.

Look for them to be ready at about 9 weeks.

3. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thank you so much for your help! Would the 9 weeks be for males or for both and just having smaller females?

4. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    For both, you could grow the females out a little longer if you like. Most like to do this as it gives them two butcher days, I would rather have them all gone in a day.... but it's up to what fits you best.

Jeff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by