Has anyone raised one chick by itself???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hd_darcy, Aug 11, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have a separate thread looking for a baby chick, but am wondering if anyone has raised just one baby chick (later to be put in with others). I hatched out ONE, and was suppose to have more..GRRR.. Anyway, she is not near as chirpy now and I'm wondering if I should just keep her solo, or keep searching for a couple companions for her?

Anyone had just one in the brooder until time to go to the coop? Thanks!

2. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

My kids were given a free banty chick at a community day this spring, and our existing flock wanted to peck her to smitherines. We kept her in a small cage beside the coop, but she had to go into the garage when it was chilly or raining. She seemed lonely, but after quite a long time, the girls FINALLY let her in the coop.

3. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    My last hatch of the year wasn't so great and I only ended up with one chick. I ended up going down the road and picking up an extra barnyard day old chick as its companion.

Even if you can raise it solo in a brooder within sight of other chickens, I find that integrating one chick into the flock versus two is sooooo much harder.

Both chicks have now been added in with the full flock and while no one else picks on them, they stick together like glue and learn new tricks, like roosting with the big girls, together. I would definitely recommend picking up another chick as a buddy if you can, it'll make your life easier and you'll end up with a much happier, better socialized chicken.

4. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. I THINK I have found some, but I am waiting to hear back. I think she said she would have some go in the hatcher tomorrow. So, I'm hoping next week, then they would be just 10 days apart [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Meanwhile "Lola" is getting EXTRA-spoiled! [​IMG]

5. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I have a lone chick that was with 4 other eggs that never made it. We give it lots of attention showing it to peck and food using our finger and peck at water doing the same.
    We put a mirror in its box, with 2 stuffed animals and its always around us . I have 2 week olds but they seem to big to put with the 2 day old. We did let our tiny from last hatch sit with the baby for a day and we bring tiny back now and then to help show the chick how to scratch. We just watch carefully to make sure it doesn't get picked on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by