Has anyone received white silkie's from Ideal Hatchery?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Beanbag, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Beanbag

Beanbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    South Georgia
    Hello BYCers!!! I was hoping that if any of you have received white silkies from Ideal hatchery that you could tell me what you thought about them and maybe show some pictures? I am considering ordering some from Ideal as soon as I can afford it but I want to know how others felt about theirs first so that I could see if its really worth it or not. Please tell me all about your Ideal Hatchery White Silkies and show some pictures! [​IMG]

2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    BB, I don't have any hatchery silkies but I have seen plenty of pictures. It depends on what you are expecting in a silkie. Most of the hatchery birds are bearded/ non bearded bred together so you may have big combs and wattles. Feathering doesnt' tend to be as fluffy and sometimes they have poor foot feathering. I have seen some with good foot feathering and some that look better than others. If you just want silkies for pets and broodies you would probably be happy with hatchery silkies.
    If you are wanting birds with big crests and show type in their bodies you will problably need to buy from a breeder. Either way silkies are wonderful chickens.

3. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I'm chickensitting right now for my friend and she has a non-bearded white silkie from Ideal and a bearded silkie. I will try to upload them sometime tomorrow for you because we have company.

4. Beanbag

Jul 8, 2008
    South Georgia
    I am looking for silkies as pets, but I am greatly turned off by the large comb on some silkies that looks like an over sized prune or raisin on top of their beaks with wattles as ugly to match. Here I will post a picture of what I am looking for in a silkie and what I am not.

Overly adorable:
    [​IMG]

And uhhh... no:
    [​IMG]

These guys will be pets for my young children... don't think they'd come near the poor chickens with a ten foot pole if they're faces looked like rotten fruit with a beak in the middle.

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    If you are looking for the first pic I would not reccomend ordering from a hatchery.

6. Beanbag

Jul 8, 2008
    South Georgia
    (100th post! Wooo!!!) Alright then... You guys are the ones who know better about the breed then I do so thanks a million for letting me know that, its why I started the thread. So... anyone able to send me some White Silkies? [​IMG]

7. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    My white silkies came from McMurray hatchery. One is very pretty Nonbearded big pouf, the other is def a male, not as fluffy. Now my blue silkies from McMurray are turning out to be beautiful, one is turning out like your first pic, and the other one is a little slower but I think it will develop just as pretty. My Ideal silkies are gray, red, and a partridge. They are a little over a week younger and developing slower than the others. I agree with Bama though you would have better silkies from a breeder.

8. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  9. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i should be able to do a dz to ship monday or tues if the girls r good for me. if u r interested pm me for details.

here is some of my breeders and there is more pics of them on my website. [​IMG]
    silkie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Beanbag

Jul 8, 2008
    South Georgia
    Quote:I sent you a PM! [​IMG] What kind of Polish is that blue one? Very Very pretty... also what are the little orange ones?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by