1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Has anyone seen a buff orpington cross like this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by YgritteChick, Jul 28, 2014.

1. YgritteChick

YgritteChick In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I got Pumpkin Pie as a mystery chick. The farmer who I bought him (?) from thought the chick might be a buff orpington but wasn't sure. Just curious what you all think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Looks like it could be but it seems to have white spot pattern in it and BO don't have that. Could be a mixed breed or the light isn't good and there really isn't white spots all over

3. YgritteChick

Jul 28, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I am not totally confident that I will have the correct terminology since I am just learning about chickens, but the chick is very beautiful and seems to have a barred or cuckoo pattern, but in white/cream and buff colored. So yes, there are white spots all over! The tail is also starting to come in dark underneath, but its hard to get a good picture of that. It is possible that the chick is a mixed breed, but I'm not sure what could breed with a Buff Orpington to turn out like this. There were also Easter Eggers, Salmon Faverolles, Specked Sussex, Black Australorp, and white silkies I think at the farm that I believe I saw...and some sort of buff orpington that I didn't see, I'm assuming, since the farmer thought it might be a buff orpington chick [​IMG] I haven't seen another chick quite like this yet. The chick has also been one of the smallest ones in my mixed flock, but very confident.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. YgritteChick

Jul 28, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Just found a pic of another chicken on here who looks similar to my cockerel, so mine isn't the only chicken in the world that looks like this [​IMG] But... that means there could be even more, Any ideas anyone on what breed(s) they could be? Id really like to know so I can decide if I keep this little guy, my husband wants him to be re-homed, but I find him absolutely adorable.

5. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Songster

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    It could be a lemon cuckoo orpington

6. YgritteChick

Jul 28, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Thank you so much!!! I had never heard of that before (obviously) but when I looked it up, it does look like that is a possibility!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looks like a lemon cuckoo cockerel.

8. Aragon

Aragon In the Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I love the color on your chicken. How would you get a lemon cuckoo pullet? Cuckoo x BO?

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Crele x Buff

10. YgritteChick

Jul 28, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for your input!

Lol, I love what he looks like to! I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with him, I really wish he was a pullet so I could keep her. He is funny and so cute, I love his round little body and he is amazing at free ranging.
    Thanks! Haha I was wondering the ways that people breed to create this coloring too! Personally, I find it absolutely precious and was so excited to see his feathers come in patterned, when I expected plain buff coloring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: