Has anyone seen anything like this?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Julz2u, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Julz2u

Julz2u Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Hello Everyone,

I have 5 Red Sex Links. They are about a year old. About a month ago, I noticed one of them was puffed up like she was cold and she would close her eyes like she was about to fall asleep. She was eating, drinking and pooping normal. Her crop was normal, she wasn't egg bound, her comb and legs were not pale. I saw no signs of lice and everyone had been recently de-wormed. I started giving her more attention. Once I caught her I noticed that she was really thin. I started giving her plain yogurt and some dry cat food. Also gave her some olive oil. I made it a point to make sure she got extra food. This week she seemed to be getting better and was excited to get the extra attention and the extra treats but I got home thiis evening and she was dead in the corner of the coop. She seemed ok this morning. What could this be? I want to make sure that this does not happen to the rest of the girls. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you
    Julie

2. GreenGables

GreenGables Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    MA
    I'm so sorry Julz2u. I hope someone can help you figure this out.[​IMG]

3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I have heard commercial production hens from large hatcheries have a very high incidence of reproductive cancers because of the hyper-productivity bred into them. It could have been eating away at her for months and just gotten to a point where it overwhelmed her system. The extra treats probably helped her feel better, but there's likely nothing you could have done for her.

You could necropsy her to find out, if it's really eating at you.

4. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I'm thinking cancer too. I have had red SLs do that at 1 1/2-2 years old.
    I have one right now that I'm keeping an eye on. They just seem to quietly waste away.
    That is why I have decided to stop buying production breeds from now on.
    It is heart breaking to lose them so young. Better to have a solid breed that doesn't lay as many eggs but lives longer.

5. Julz2u

Julz2u Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Well, I guess I feel a little better knowing that it wasn't anything that could have been avoided. We actually thought we were getting RIR's when we got the RSL's. We had 6 RIR's that were wiped out by a serial killing racoon. (he didn't make it either) And we wanted more of them, but I think we've been cheated. I'm not crazy about the sex links. They don't lay as good and they are a bit peculiar acting.
    Thank you so much for everyone's fast response. This board is so great. What would I do without Backyard Chickens???

J

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    You'd get a lot more work done (we all would)! [​IMG]

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by