Has anyone seen this and tried it yet - coop heater?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jerseygirl1, Oct 15, 2009.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
  2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I live in Iowa where along with your area gets very cold for a long time. I raise, chickens, ducks, pheasants and quail with no heat other than for the water. I put vasiline on my roosters combs during the dead of winter but thats it. As far as my memory can remember I have never lost a bird due to the cold. They are allowed ourside everyday and will readily run out in the snow.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Thanks, I was planning on doing the same, vaseline on combs, etc. In fact, my coop with the deep litter method, is actually very warm right now!

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    There's actually another thread on here where someone was asking the same thing b/c she had just bought one of these. If I recall a few others had them in their coop and were using them with success. I'll see if I can find it.

5. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
  6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I got a heater from Air-n-water through ebay, and it was less than $60 shipped. It was a Dayton NX3, and it is also 1/2" thick, while smaller otherwise, it's metal and robust and very economical for the heat it puts out. Unfortunately, anything with this minor wattage is not going to keep any larger area warm- they need to be right next to it to reap any real benefits.

I use it in the brooder area of my coop right now, and come winter, I'll wall-mount it next to the roost with the lighter-bodied birds. I will also use my clamp-lamp (with the clamp screwed down to prevent fire by accidental falling) with a 250W ceramic bulb- no light, but infra-red heat that will stave off the worst of it when it's 20 below overnight.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The trouble with heating the coop is that your chickens will be accustomed to the warmth, and if there is a power failure of any duration, less abe to cope with the cold.

You might do a search here for patachchickens' posts on coop warmth. She is in Canada and does not heat her coop, and she is quite knowledgeable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by