has anyone seen this before?- chick with swollen vent- PICS

miniwarrior

Chirping
Feb 16, 2008
Austin, TX
So, one of my chicks has a very swollen vent- I don't think it's a prolapse though. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? It had pasted up and when I cleaned it off a few days ago, its vent was extremely swollen. I had posted before and have put some preparation H as recommended. I've stopped treating it now and it seems to be pretty stable and possibly getting better very slowly. Take a look-

IMG_0219.jpg

Luckily the others don't peck at is, but I am especially concerned because she is the runt and has not been developing like the others. They are all much bigger and "fly" around much more and sometimes seem to bully her. This picture kind of shows the size difference- she's the one on the bottom left-

IMG_0221.jpg

I'd appreciate any help as I don't have the means to take her to the vet but want to do whatever I can to help her get better!
Thanks!

Having people playing with your bum isn't exactly fun for the cheeps...
In cleaning it off you could've aggravated some of the tissue, but it doesn't look like it's a prolapse...
it's vent looks pretty clean and normal, just large.

is the chick having droppings?
if so, are the droppings normal?
is the chick eating and drinking?

is it possible to divide the brooder and put the chick with 1 other chick?
this would keep the others from bullying it and maybe it would eat and drink better.

all cute chicks BTW...

She's eating like crazy, drinking, and pooping normally. She's just more skittish, but I'm hoping that she'll get over it. Is it a bad idea to keep them all together in the hopes that she'll become more comfortable with time or should I separate them and let her have her own space with a pal??

If she's running like crazy with the rest let her be. It is very possible that pasting up for a day or so may have curbed her appetite early on and thus is "behind" schedule on growth. I also notice you have many different breeds so it is very well possible she is doing normal for her strain.

Back
Top Bottom